Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fubar'd engine?

hey all

driving home today and noticed loud knocking sound... about 10mins of motorway driving, had music playing so was possibly there the whole journey.

anyway noticed oil pressure gauge was reading zero so pulled over, put in a 5l bottle of oil and tried to drive to the next junction. after about a minute the engine cut out, and it wouldn't turn over when i tried to start it.

it's been towed now, and i'm wondering: have i buggered it? any chance of it being repairable if i pop the top and reoil things, or does it sound like i'll need a new engine?

cheers

was there no oil at all??? if so where has it gone any leaks ??

i would be looking at a new lump by the sounds of it
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

FUBARED I think is correct .
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Ok rick i was trying to be gentle

Comment

wow that's some quick replying!

oil pressure needle wasn't registering at all. there's been a teeny oil leak since i bought her, which i assume got bigger in a hurry. that or i didn't connect the oil feed up properly when i was replacing the alternator yesterday, but i took her on a loong drive and things were fine...

can't bring myself to have a proper look under the hood yet. wondering how the heck i'm gonna get a) home and b) in to work tomorrow!

what's the going rate on a new engine?

Comment

Originally posted by bazyr View Post
            wow that's some quick replying!

oil pressure needle wasn't registering at all. there's been a teeny oil leak since i bought her, which i assume got bigger in a hurry. that or i didn't connect the oil feed up properly when i was replacing the alternator yesterday, but i took her on a loong drive and things were fine...

can't bring myself to have a proper look under the hood yet. wondering how the heck i'm gonna get a) home and b) in to work tomorrow!

what's the going rate on a new engine?
            depends on which one it is .....as you are posting in the 2.4 section it can only be a 2Lt or a 2Lt-e year would help to narrow it down ......hopefully you could get away with a short engine .....some more local members may be able to point you in the direction of a supplier ........

but you may find it expencive

Comment

5 Litres sounds like it's Fooked !!!!

There's always a Payback .... It'll take longer than five minutes !!!!
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
              X