the source of the leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the source of the leak

Yaaaaay! I finally discovered where the bugger's leaking from.

It's a rubber hose on the 'stat housing (phone pics below - not up to my usual standard).

What I need to know is whether it's a simple bit of hose, or whether it has different sized ends. Does anyone know?

I don't want to take the thing off until I know for sure because I know what perished rubber's like - it probably won't go back on again if I do. The truck's driveable at the mo, I just need to carry litres and litres of water around with me...

Originally posted by MadcapMagician View Post
    Yaaaaay! I finally discovered where the bugger's leaking from.

It's a rubber hose on the 'stat housing (phone pics below - not up to my usual standard).

What I need to know is whether it's a simple bit of hose, or whether it has different sized ends. Does anyone know?

I don't want to take the thing off until I know for sure because I know what perished rubber's like - it probably won't go back on again if I do. The truck's driveable at the mo, I just need to carry litres and litres of water around with me...
    It's a standard (18mm I think) heater hose.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

To me it looks like the larger pipe is the one leaking, and that looks like it is a different size at each end.

Shouldn't cost much from a main dealer.

Rob.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
        To me it looks like the larger pipe is the one leaking, and that looks like it is a different size at each end.

Shouldn't cost much from a main dealer.

Rob.
        That's a straight piece of hose, I changed mine a few months back.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Standard heater hose will do the job. That's what I used. I think it's 16mm. Just measure the diameter of the metal pipe.

Nev

Comment

Cool - I did the whole set when I put the new head on a year ago, and from memory there was one that changed diameter. I assumed it was that one as it looked like it in the pic and I couldn't be ars@d to go outside and pop the bonnet at a quarter to eleven..

Rob.

Comment

Thanks, guys; I'll sort that tomorrow, then.

Comment

Re

Buy a good length and do as much as you can including new clips.

I done all mine as they were "crunchy", a by product of a blown head I am lead to believe!

Get the pipe in a scrappie, any "new" wreck will yield bountiful supplies of all diameters!

Are the pipes "crunchy" when you squeeze them?

Gary

Comment

No, mate - my Surf is a crunch-free zone.

Comment

It was, indeed, a bit of 16mm hose.

In the process of sliding (with more swearing and gnashing of teeth than one would have expected) the blasted thing on, I snapped off my temperature sender for the rad fan: £65.00 + VAT for a new one...

Comment

I snapped off my temperature sender for the rad fan: £65.00 + VAT for a new one...
                      That's a bit expensive. Genuine? I can geat an aftermarket Tridon brand here (97 on - 92 off) for about a quarter of that.

Nev

Comment

Yeah, it's a Toyota part.

Comment

Weired, I had a split in the same piece of hose. I could not find it but it was dam annoying. I ended up taking it to my local garage who kindly charged me £24 to find and replace it. Obvioulsy a common week spot.
                          2.4 LN130 SSRG K Reg

Dropbox - You're invited to join Dropbox! - Online backup, file sync and sharing made easy.
                          To use Drop Box today for free click go here https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTczNzg1MzQ5

Comment

Originally posted by sathelp View Post
                            kindly charged me £24
                            £24 for 3" of rad hose? Is it diamond-encrusted?

Comment

£24 for 3" of rad hose? Is it diamond-encrusted?
                              No, but it did include a Parts, time and a refill of Antifreeze and of course no breakage of temp sender.
                              2.4 LN130 SSRG K Reg

Dropbox - You're invited to join Dropbox! - Online backup, file sync and sharing made easy.
                              To use Drop Box today for free click go here https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTczNzg1MzQ5

Comment

Working...
                              X