CAT removal 2.4TD jap import in NZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAT removal 2.4TD jap import in NZ

hello all. (did you sort out your 2WD-4WD change problem pete?)
    I would like to get rid of the CAT on my 89' SSR Limited
    Reason being:
    1/i don't understand it
    2/it is not required by law here in NZ (for 89' car)
    3/unsure of it's effect on performance (operating properly or not)
    4/dont like idea of exaust manifold piped to intake manifold
    5/make's engine over complicated (lots of pipes and sensors)

My plan is to blank off holes left in manifolds, with plate cut to shape....
    What to do ? - with all the vacume hoses and electrics left over, i'm not sure, will deal with that as it happens.

The hoses and electrics left over will be very specific to my car (89' surf SSR Limited - LN130 engine (2.4TD))... so any pointers from ppl who may have already been down this road would be appriciated)

I have looked back at forum and noticed Koi has done this mod - with improved performance.

on another note - my surf does 30 MPG (540klms on a 50 liter tank)
    Rob

Don't remember Koi removing a catalytic converter.

He did do the EGR mod ( exhaust gas recirculation )

Is this what you mean....theres loads of stuff on here about that one.
    Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Originally posted by bensonsnuts
      Don't remember Koi removing a catalytic converter.

He did do the EGR mod ( exhaust gas recirculation )

Is this what you mean....theres loads of stuff on here about that one.
      The only other thing that Nigel did was to have the exhaust replaced with one from a 3.0 V6 as the 2.4 is hard to get and expensive. The V6 and some 2.4TD exhausts (mine included) have a rear resonator box, this was removed and the exhaust end re-routed to exit behind the rear passenger mud flap.

I would be very surprised if your 1989 had a cat in the first place. They certainly are not standard for the Japanese market. There may be up to 3 boxes on a standard 2.4 exhaust, a resonator under the floor, a rear silencer just in front of the rear axle and a resonator just behind the rear axle.

If you have a Cat then remove it, the performance drain from running a cat on an engine not tuned to work with it will be quite large. While you are at it why not get a larger diameter exhaust fitted - 2.5 inches from front to back or 3 inch down pipe from Turbo then 2.5 inch back from there. A lot of people in Australia and New Zealand seem to do this and report good increases in power and driveability. It will allow the Turbo to spool up quicker and run cooler as the exhaust gases will exit much quicker.

I think as Bensonsnuts said, what you are thinking of is the EGR mod though, and all you need to do is to remove and block one vacuum pipe. No need to remove all the other stuff and in fact I would suggest that you don't, it's hard to get a good seal with blanking plates unless they are really thick.

Cheers

Comment

30 MPG Find that hard to believe.540 Ks from a 65 litre tank is more likely.

Neville

Comment

Thnx for replys..
          yep. EGR mod is what I mean... apologies for my ignorance.
          I will have a look though forum for more info..
          EGR due for bin this weekend.

RE:fuel consumption
          Iv'e had my surf 4 month's now and usually drive till fuel warning light comes on, and then some..
          When I first got the hilux it had a sick motor and I could get 480klms per tank. since my rebuild (10000 klms ago /3 months)I can get 540klms per tank. I have standard tyres. I rarely go over 110kph (66MPH)
          maybe my speedo is out? I'll check it out, also tank size, and report findings.
          I have found turbo timers and warming up for too long does have a suprising effect on fuel consumption.
          Rob

Comment

I've just been reading a littel of the forum about EGR....
            maybe I'm being hasty - I think I need a "make it go away tool" - snapon proberbly do one

It's getting late now, but I'm gonna read everything about it befor I do anything... thanks again all..
            Rob

Comment

Rob wrotw
              "RE:fuel consumption
              Iv'e had my surf 4 month's now and usually drive till fuel warning light comes on, and then some..
              When I first got the hilux it had a sick motor and I could get 480klms per tank. since my rebuild (10000 klms ago /3 months)I can get 540klms per tank. I have standard tyres. I rarely go over 110kph (66MPH)
              maybe my speedo is out? I'll check it out, also tank size, and report findings.
              I have found turbo timers and warming up for too long does have a suprising effect on fuel consumption.
              Rob"

Rob
              Ignore my previous post.540 Ks from full tank till light on may be right.I get about 500 Ks from full to light on.This leaves around 10 - 15 litres left in tankI think you will also have a 65 litre tank.

I hope to get better than this now as I have just had Injection Pump rebuilt at a cost of $3009.00 including Injectors.

Neville.
              Last edited by NiftyNev; 5 May 2004, 13:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Patterson
                I've just been reading a littel of the forum about EGR....
                maybe I'm being hasty - I think I need a "make it go away tool" - snapon proberbly do one

It's getting late now, but I'm gonna read everything about it befor I do anything... thanks again all..
                Rob
                The only tool I used was my fingers and a short plastic zip tie to strangle the vacuum tube. That way there is nothing hanging off and nothing disconnected. Hope this helps.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                  The only tool I used was my fingers and a short plastic zip tie to strangle the vacuum tube. That way there is nothing hanging off and nothing disconnected. Hope this helps.
                  personaly before you completely rip out the EGR I would just do the mod by blocking off the pipe. See if you notice any difference, if you dont then I would suggest your EGR is already caked up and stuck open.
                  By doing the mod (if the EGR is working properly) you will see more torque on low down grunt, less smoke from the exhaust and maybe a slight improvement in MPG.
                  I wouldn't take it right out anyway as there other vacuum pipes that control different things, a more permanant fix is to put a blanking plate in where the pipe from the EGR meets the head.
                  Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

Yippeeee! Another K1W1 !!
                    Where abouts are you??
                    I'm on the 'Shore
                    Simon.O.
                    '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

hello si
                      currently in Bay of Islands...
                      Always keen to meet a fello surfer... i'll snd u a pvt messge.
                      I'm sure this forum dont need filling up with gob????e from us
                      rob

Comment

Im gonna go look through old posts but as i am putting my hesad back on this week i would like to do the EGR job. The blanking plate sounds like least obtrusive/most effective fix, how did you seal it? what thickness type of plate did you use, are there any adverse effects i.e. cooling?

Thanks Nipper

Originally posted by Koi
                        personaly before you completely rip out the EGR I would just do the mod by blocking off the pipe. See if you notice any difference, if you dont then I would suggest your EGR is already caked up and stuck open.
                        By doing the mod (if the EGR is working properly) you will see more torque on low down grunt, less smoke from the exhaust and maybe a slight improvement in MPG.
                        I wouldn't take it right out anyway as there other vacuum pipes that control different things, a more permanant fix is to put a blanking plate in where the pipe from the EGR meets the head.

Comment

There is a diaphram acuator on the left hand side of the fuel filter...
                          (looks like a classic style UFO)
                          There is a metal pipe on the top facing the motor...
                          pull the rubber pipe off and stuff a small ball bearing in the rubber pipe..
                          now put it back on....
                          job done.....

I still think my valve is not properly shut all the way though...

So I'm gonna make sure no gases get into the intake.....

easyest fix for this is to dissconnect the 1 inch tube that goes into the back of the exaust manifold (just 2 bolts)...... make a thin steel gasket (only dont put a 1 inch hole in the middle as you would imagine.... and bolt it all up...
                          now you know for sure no gases can get into the intake...

I like to think that one day my surf will have no EGR stuff on it at all and only the bare minimum of vacume hoses to run properly. with all holes blanked off properly. but in the mean time disabling it is ok

RE: fuel consumption
                          yep... my surf has got 65 liter tank... low fuel warning comes on bang on 50 liters.... my speedo is correct... and I get beetween 500 and 540 klms per 50 litres
                          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Nipper
                            Im gonna go look through old posts but as i am putting my hesad back on this week i would like to do the EGR job. The blanking plate sounds like least obtrusive/most effective fix, how did you seal it? what thickness type of plate did you use, are there any adverse effects i.e. cooling?

Thanks Nipper
                            I haven't used a blanking plate, just the simple way of doing it. You can use a thin bit of metal like tin can etc, I have heard other people using this and some gasket sealer as well.
                            As for cooling yes there are issues, the EGR puts some of the gases back into the head to reduce the temp below 2500 degs to prevent the Nox. So in theory it does reduce the head temp, from what i have read on this the down side is, as the gases are only put back into the head on one side you get hot spots on the head. One side lower temp the other side higher, not good on ahead to have hot spots. Also the Nox is only produced when the the engine is under load, uphill, towing, hard acceleration, as this raises the temp over 2500degs, with the type of EGR on the early models it is a diaphram type and recirculates virtually all the time. This again apparently causes more temp problems, on later models the EGR was changed to a solonoid and only opened when the engine was put under heavy load.
                            Check a more detailed post of mine here http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...4&page=1&pp=10
                            Last edited by Koi; 11 May 2004, 11:11.
                            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                            My choice
                            Back off

Comment

Working...
                            X