Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil In Water ? Help Me Please

Just checked coolent level and there,s a lot of black oil in it
    Will this be the famous cylinder head problem.Ive had the surf for 2 months with no over heating problems in over 2500 kms,in fact no problems at all
    It still runs fine,but i think there might be a bit more pressure in the water system but no over heating.Hope it isnt the head ,grown men dont normally cry. forgot to say ,its a 93 2.4 surf
    look forward to anyones comments .thanks

Originally posted by Cody
    Just checked coolent level and there,s a lot of black oil in it
    Will this be the famous cylinder head problem.Ive had the surf for 2 months with no over heating problems in over 2500 kms,in fact no problems at all
    It still runs fine,but i think there might be a bit more pressure in the water system but no over heating.Hope it isnt the head ,grown men dont normally cry. forgot to say ,its a 93 2.4 surf
    look forward to anyones comments .thanks
    do a flush of the cooling system and see if it comes back first before you do anything too drastic, have you noticed a loss in oil, dont forget to get the airlock out when you refill it
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Also check to see if there`s water in the oil. If the oil filler neck and cap have a greyish butter like deposit, then i hate to say it but it almost certainly sounds like the dreaded head problem. Get it pressure tested first to be certain. Even if it means a new head, i know it isn`t cheap to do but you`ll still have a cracking truck with one less major problem less to worry about.

Ken.
      God bless gaffer tape and mastic!

Comment

there's no water in the oil.
        is it a hard job to replace the head yourself.I've done a couple of head gaskets before,but these were on older cars.there seems to be a lot more bits on these engines
        thanks

Comment

thats the problem with the head curse, When mine went it did/nt even have oil in the water.

I would do a dye test and use the engine as little as possible, once you have ascertained if it is the head/gasket then you will have avoided doing anymore, Worse, damage!

Definately check your oil as suggested and give the oil cap a sniff "look" for that cooked engine smell.

Also go through my old threads i asked some very similar questions re: overheating and had some excellent answers back from all the 'old hands'. they were posted a couple of weeks ago.

Good luck and fingers crossed!

COR that was quick before i had a chance to mreply my thread was outta date!

I am doing a head replacement at the moment, i have done the job on an MG B and a Fourtrak before and the only major differnce is that on the Surf you have a turbo and AC to get outta the way! oh and **** loads of head bolts (4 rows) Otherwise its fairly straight forward, whats useful is the fact that you can remove whole studs (via there star shaped tops) so access is easier.

If you want parts call roughtrax on 01179869065, they will give advice and won't try and sell you any old crap ask for Barry.

They are good value and damn helpful.

Goodluck Nipper

Nipper
          Last edited by Nipper; 1 May 2004, 19:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Cody
            there's no water in the oil.
            is it a hard job to replace the head yourself.I've done a couple of head gaskets before,but these were on older cars.there seems to be a lot more bits on these engines
            thanks

See the main site for pics and full write up on replacing the head. www.ukcylinderheads.co.uk also do the head £595 + VAT, genuine Toyata head, valves, cam, shims ready to bolt on, they also supply the gaskets and bolts.
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Working...
            X