Glow plug palaver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glow plug palaver

Today when removing the glow plugs, three of the plugs came out without the tip on and a long piece of coiled wire came out instead eventually i brought an extra long drill bit (6MM) and drilled the tip out (Hopefully this is ok) i copper slipped the new ones when they went in. Has anyone else suffered this problem before?

Chris

so where did the tips, swarf, etc end up? - methinks on top of your pistons, under your valve seats possibly causing mayhem - I think the head needs to come off and a good clean out!
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

Comment

Originally posted by christopoher murphy View Post
      Today when removing the glow plugs, three of the plugs came out without the tip on and a long piece of coiled wire came out instead eventually i brought an extra long drill bit (6MM) and drilled the tip out (Hopefully this is ok) i copper slipped the new ones when they went in. Has anyone else suffered this problem before?

Chris
      whoops,not the thing to do.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Well the tips are filled with a white powder where the coil from the glow plug tip is wound in so i know they are hollow,i drilled on a slow speed and the left material (glow plug tip) coiled up the drill bit after drilling i got the hoover turned it up to full and put it over the holes didnt really want to take the head off as i have only just put it on.

and its cold.

Chris

Comment

If its running ok then i would say you've been a lucky boy cos it could have been alot worse.
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Fingers crossed got to finish the job tomorrow (got dark) might crank her over with all the glow plugs out of the engine to blast any remaining debris out

Wish me luck

Chris

Comment

Fingers crossed got to finish the job tomorrow (got dark) might crank her over with all the glow plugs out of the engine to blast any remaining debris out

Wish me luck

Chris
              not a risk I would care to take, but there again it's not my engine, perhaps if the injectors were out too might stand a better chance, I wouldnt crank it I think it would be wise to asertain which pot is at TDC then airline in one port, vac on the other each cylinder in turn, turning the engine via crank pulley.
              one thing on your side being Sunday, 'He' may be looking down on you.
              Good luck, I have a feeling you may need it!
              Tony

Comment

Ahh, i thought you had it running already.

Well if your certain non dropped in, which i don't think you can be 100% sure of, you may be ok.

Good luck with it mate.

Comment

Update on glow plug palaver

Finished the job today took all the injectors out and got the hoover and held it over the holes and also on the glowplug holes put a little light oil down into the bores refitted all the components back on to the engine done my weekly checks of all the fluids then started and took her for a run down a local A road.
                  and now i say with a sigh of relief that everything seems ok and now the starting is even better too.

Comment

Finished the job today took all the injectors out and got the hoover and held it over the holes and also on the glowplug holes put a little light oil down into the bores refitted all the components back on to the engine done my weekly checks of all the fluids then started and took her for a run down a local A road.
                    and now i say with a sigh of relief that everything seems ok and now the starting is even better too.
                    You LUCKY git.

Comment

Might run some injector cleaner through too its been a while since she last had some. time for the dual mass flywheel palaver to start.

Chris.

Comment

I think you are a jammy bugger - hope it continues to be OK
                        Tony

Comment

Many thanks for the support i thought myself that this job was going to end in tears

Chris.

Comment

Your not the only one to get away with it .... see here
                            http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=42275

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect a Warning !!!!
                            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                              Your not the only one to get away with it .... see here
                              http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=42275

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect a Warning !!!!
                              I did the job slightly differently i got a vernier caliper and measured the tips of the glow plugs (old) at 5.5mm and the internal at 4.5 so i first drilled at 4.5 to get the the drill bit through the bottom (The swarf came up the bit in the process) and then i drilled a 5.5 to take the shell out and also wathced the swarf come up the bit then i ran a 6.0 mm through the holes to clear all the carbon out as the Milners ones were rather tight all through the process i used a light oil (while drilling) and to aid in not getting any crap in the chambers, before putting the glow plugs in as a precaution i put some more engine oil into the bore to help any remaining swarf in the bore to find its way out and to protect the cylinder walls. Then i replaced the new glow plugs this time with some copper ease on the threads. on start up i did hear some tinkling going down the exhaust pipe but it passed within seconds and then took the car for a run all ok (note) to do this you need long series drill bits and standard length ones dont reach the bottom and the chuck of the drill fouls on the cam cover i did this job with the cam cover off as cam cover fouls good entry into no 4 glow plug hole (oil breather tube).

I hope this helps anyone who may come across this problem in the future

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X