Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New fuel filter, but can't get it to prime

I've a diesel LN130 2.4l Surf

I've had no real problems changing the fuel filter. The old filter was full of crap that looked like lentil soup - orange blobs!

I've taken the new filter on and off several times now, to make sure I'd done it right (first time ever done it). I filled it to the brim with nice new clean diesel.

I can pump and pump and I still get no resistance. If I take the hoses off and stick my fingers over the end I can feel suction when I pump.

I'm left with the unhappy thought that there's a blockage on inlet line. (I won't be going back to the garage I filed up at the night before the car seriously "underperformed" !) Is this a horrible possibility? How do I unblock it?

Any ideas please?

I would think the primer is shagged and you need a replacement.I may be wrong and someone will correct me if i am
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks - any way I can check it?

The screw in the top of the pump - should it be loose or tight?

Ta

Comment

My first guess would be that the filter isn't sealing correctly.

Comment

i would say you have already checked it and it hasn't worked.I have got a couple of primers here that were working fine from the breakers if you need one.

Comment

Originally posted by lostmarbles View Post
            I've a diesel LN130 2.4l Surf

I've had no real problems changing the fuel filter. The old filter was full of crap that looked like lentil soup - orange blobs!

I've taken the new filter on and off several times now, to make sure I'd done it right (first time ever done it). I filled it to the brim with nice new clean diesel.

I can pump and pump and I still get no resistance. If I take the hoses off and stick my fingers over the end I can feel suction when I pump.

I'm left with the unhappy thought that there's a blockage on inlet line. (I won't be going back to the garage I filed up at the night before the car seriously "underperformed" !) Is this a horrible possibility? How do I unblock it?

Any ideas please?

Loosen off the nuts on the injectors and get someone to crank the engine while you pump the primer to get the fuel flowing.
            Shut off engine when the fuel starts spurting from the pipes.

Also, there may be a vacuum present in the fuel tank, remove the filler cap and try pumping the primer to see if resistance can be felt.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I shall give the engine a crank while pumping with the primer and see if anything comes out the pipes (and I'm not expecting goblins and fairies....just something vaguely fuelly!)

I've read another thread on here that suggests using an air line and blowing back on the inlet pipe.

I'll give them both a shot tomorrow because I'm pretty sure the primer is okay, but I'll certainly not refuse your offer just yet Stormforce!

I just hope tomorrow is not so damn cold to be messing under the bonnet! (still I've got loads of beer left from Christmas to console me tomorrow night......)

Cheers for now.

Comment

Have you tried to start it at all, or are you hust constantly priming it?

If you've not tried to start it and you've filled the filter with diesel, just turn the engine over 'til it starts. I never even bother to try and prime it, fill the filter and turn it over, it'll start.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Yes, tried to start it! duh.

Seriously flattened the battery and put the life of the starter motor in jeopardy.

Comment

Originally posted by lostmarbles View Post
                    Yes, tried to start it! duh.

Seriously flattened the battery and put the life of the starter motor in jeopardy.
                    Don't duh me! You didn't say you'd tried to start it.

I've changed 2 filters, run out of disel twice (my fuel gauge is a pathalogical liar) and changed the fuel pump once, never primed it and never had an issue starting it.

Takes a while right enough, but it always starts.

Maybe your batteries are guff?

Comment

just thinking if your primer is shagged, you should still be able to start it. it sounds to me like you have air in the lines that is stopping it. i had this problem (ask stormforce). i could'nt get it going for love nor money and the primer never seemed to go hard. so i called a man (tonyn) that knew and he came and fixed it. and it was air in the line stopping it. all he did was get me to turn it over while releasing the air from the injectors in turn. it took about half an hour to get it going but it worked. seems to me like you have the same prob.

Comment

Originally posted by wolf View Post
                        just thinking if your primer is shagged, you should still be able to start it. it sounds to me like you have air in the lines that is stopping it. i had this problem (ask stormforce). i could'nt get it going for love nor money and the primer never seemed to go hard. so i called a man (tonyn) that knew and he came and fixed it. and it was air in the line stopping it. all he did was get me to turn it over while releasing the air from the injectors in turn. it took about half an hour to get it going but it worked. seems to me like you have the same prob.

So what you're saying is ...... the engine can still be started while the primer is being shagged, but it won't run if you offer it money or affection as it won't get a full erection. Stormforce was witness to all this, (in the bushes?)
                        So a man named TonyN came over and did something for about 30 minutes to get your injectors spurting again. Is he a fluffer?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          So what you're saying is ...... the engine can still be started while the primer is being shagged, but it won't run if you offer it money or affection as it won't get a full erection. Stormforce was witness to all this, (in the bushes?)
                          So a man named TonyN came over and did something for about 30 minutes to get your injectors spurting again. Is he a fluffer?
                          I just read that out to Shirley and Tracey, they're still laughing!

Comment

Hey now i wasn't there when Tony went over so it wasn't me in the bushes

Comment

This happened to me. I had the pipes to the filter swapped over.

Comment

Working...
                              X