Clutch noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch noises

I'm getting a screeching noise / whine when I have the surf in gear and the clutch in (either stationary or when putting it down a gear). The noise isn't consistant and doesn't seem to have a pattern: not bothered by cold or hot or which gear. When stationary if i put the clutch in and take it out of gear there's no noise but it comes back if i put it in gear.

At first it was only while braking and I'd just changed the pads so assumed it was a brake noise but as it happens at stand still I'm guessing it's the clutch bearing? Is this something I can get from a breaker or do I need the roughtrax clutch kit and change the whole lot? If so how big/bad a job is it?

Cheers

Joe

Sounds like clutch release bearing on way out .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Great

Anyone got any ideas on cost for replacing it? Am I right in thinking that it's the one in the clutch kit (thrust bearing is the same as release bearing?). As it's a bearing would a second hand one be a bad idea or is it ok if the bearing's in good nick, just won't last as long? Also could well be a garage job so can anyone give me a ballpark figure for how long it'll take? Am having to think very carefully about if I can afford the surf so don't really need this! Cheers

Comment

if you are ripping out the the gear box and it is the 2.4 do the clutch and if you have the cash get the fly wheel changed to a solid one o and do the rear crank seal at the same time as i had to put a new gear box in my surf and put a new clutch kit and never did the duel mass to sold state fly wheel swap never put second hand parts in a bell housing as this will cost you in the long run

you have bean warned
        S S R G is the only way to surf

scottish mud club member kerelawsurf

Comment

a release bearing can last for 1000's of miles before it collapses all together, had a van that screeched for about 20k before clutch died
          Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, guess it's time to start saving up for a new clutch! Think you're right jeff.fn02jwa will try and scrape enough together for the solid flywheel, seems like a bit of a faff so might as well do both jobs at the same time. Good to know it should be ok for a little bit though as it seems the clutch isn't my major problem anymore...

Have had some problems with the batteries being flat last couple of times I've tried to start. First time I assumed I'd left the lights on but jump started and drove around for a while, had to start again while still warm and it was fine. Couple of cold days later batteries dead again. When I jump started her this time got a horrendous clunking noise which seemed to be coming from around the fan. Didn't like the sound of it so switched off again. There was steam coming from the turbo but as most of the engine bay was frosty I guess it could just be from that. Anyhow from some searching here it could be something to do with the water pump or the alternator, which I guess would explain the dead batteries. More unnecessary expense but can't exactly sell her in this state so at least it makes that a bit easier!

Comment

The engine bay can't be frosty unless you left the truck with the bonnet up overnight. Is there anti freeze in your cooling system?
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

There is antifreeze in the coolant but I have to keep topping it up because of a pin hole leak, generally I use pre-mixed coolant from Roughtrax but sometimes I just put water in so it could be a bit diluted. The coolant in the expansion tank and the stuff I could see at the rad cap was liquid and still pretty deep red though. For reference the water in my bottle in the car was a solid block of ice, as was the washer fluid (I know I should keep the antifreeze there topped up as well but I've not topped it up since it was warmer).

Comment

Working...
                X