Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternator keeps moving or is it belt stretching

Guys, little perplexed.

have fitted a used alternator as mine wasnt putting out.
    had marked up where the original positions of the motor and reinstalled the same.

still wasnt charging to check the belt tension and it was a little slack, so adjusted and got 14v kicking out.

anyways day later back to 12v, rechecked and the belt was loose again, retightened and back to 14v and hey presto day later back to 12v

So is it that im simply not doing the bolts up tight enough and the alternator is shifting or is my belt actually stretching and will pretty soon go pop.

How are you tensioning the alternator, There is one tensioner bolt on the side and one locking bolt on the front, you need to tension it with the tensioner on the side but this needs to be with the locking bolt loose, then once at the correct tension lock it up with the locking bolt from the front, i would be surprised if the belt was stretching that much so quickly.
    Roy
    When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

make sure you've got 2 belts on the alternator,as is driving the water pump as well.If you've got only one,is going to snap,happened to me...

Comment

crankshaft pulley about to let go?
        JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Originally posted by marius v View Post
          make sure you've got 2 belts on the alternator,as is driving the water pump as well.If you've got only one,is going to snap,happened to me...
          hmmm i dont think there are two belts on it now you mention it. got me concerened now.. will have to check in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by roylittle0 View Post
            How are you tensioning the alternator, There is one tensioner bolt on the side and one locking bolt on the front, you need to tension it with the tensioner on the side but this needs to be with the locking bolt loose, then once at the correct tension lock it up with the locking bolt from the front, i would be surprised if the belt was stretching that much so quickly.
            yeh i have been working it that way,thanks..

Comment

tighten the locking bolt and pivot bolt...
              check for no movement on any of the pulleys...
              Make sure the tension on the belts are correct...

for piece of mind replace the belts if you are not happy with them.

Comment

right had a quick look, found there is a twist on the fan belt, i have indeed on put one belt on the alternator....my bad. so haev ordered a set of belts and parked up the surf till its fixed.

@Andy, would the pivot bolt make much difference as its a 'pivot' as opposed to a 'adjustment' bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargo View Post
                  @Andy, would the pivot bolt make much difference as its a 'pivot' as opposed to a 'adjustment' bolt.
                  If it ain't tight, the other bolts are prone to more vibration. If one is loose, all will generally follow over time.

Comment

finally got round to replacing all 4 belts. incidently wehn i was refurbing the starter motor last month i noticed left over shredded fan belt,, didnt think much of it till now when you guys said there should be 2 on it..

Comment

Working...
                    X