Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No heating and its not the matrix!

I really need some help here.
    The truck went into our local Agricultural Engineer (does our farm equipment and tractors etc) for the clutch to be done, the electrics for the back lights and to get an MOT. All that was fixed, but its come back with no heating.

What don't I just take it back? because that is more trouble than its worth. As it is I was without it for 4 weeks the last time and heating or no, at least I've a 4x4 for the current snowy weather.

Its not the matrix as that was sorted a year back and was working. I have no pools of liquid on the passenger side. The slider (under the dash) is connected.

I think the dashboard was removed whilst at the garage because the clock is now working and it wasn't before.

I'm reluctant to remove the dash as the last time it took me a few days to sort the problem and put it all back on - the non standard radio is a very tight squeeze.

Someone has suggested that it could be another connector that the slider connector is attached to under the dash -but I'm not sure where to look or what to take off.

I'm a competent girl, up to a point!

I can see no diagrams in the Haynes manual for any connections inside the car and maybe is just blindingly obvious when you know how it all works......but I don't !!!

Its snowed again today and I'm a little desperate to have the heating working.
    Can anyone please suggest anything sensible? Or point me at some pics on the web?

Water control for the matrix is on the bulkhead in the engine bay. Check that the arm in there is moving when you move the hot/cold lever.

If not you can open it by hand, but won't be able to change temp from inside.

ps - helps if you have model type in your profile
    My other cars a QUAD
    (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
    http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Is it the fan thats not working ? Do you have the rear heater ? is that OK

Bogus
      Сви можемо

Comment

heating!

Thanks for your reply.

I've put in the model in my profile before, but maybe that not showing is similar to me having to log in a couple of times to post the thread and do this reply - keeps saying I'm not registered. Grrr

Anyway, its an LN130, J reg import 2.4 Hilux Surf

Yeh, I need to find a second person to help with looking under the bonnet and doing the sliders. I shall try that at lunch today.

Thanks

Comment

Has it got enough coolant in it? If you dont burp the system properly when you refill it, then theres no water in matrix....
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Thanks for your questions Bogus.

The fan is working and I'll need to check the rear heating. Got to ask silly question: where would those blowers be?

(squirms into corner to await your pity...)

Comment

Thanks Chillitt - is that just a matter of the antifreeze in the radiator?

(ooh.. I feel like a sitting duck with my questions back to you guys! - sorry!)

Comment

You can check control valve on your own.

Set heater to hot, check position on valve, then set to cold and check valve again.
                Last edited by sv1000spilot; 3 December 2008, 12:48.
                My other cars a QUAD
                (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by lostmarbles View Post
                  Thanks for your questions Bogus.

The fan is working and I'll need to check the rear heating. Got to ask silly question: where would those blowers be?

(squirms into corner to await your pity...)
                  On the back of the centre console, facing the middle seat. It is possible but unlikely that you don't have them.

Originally posted by lostmarbles View Post
                  Thanks Chillitt - is that just a matter of the antifreeze in the radiator?

(ooh.. I feel like a sitting duck with my questions back to you guys! - sorry!)
                  Kind of. It needs to be properly topped up at all times. Do you ever notice your temperature guage fluctuating?

Comment

Progress!

Thanks for all the help.

I've looked under the bonnet and the thing that the internal sliders connect to isn't moving. If I detach the cable and fully open it, I get HOT air !!! Hooray!

Ok, now what? How do I get that thingy to free up and move with the wire connector?

Comment

So the cable doesn't move if you move the slider?

Sounds like they didn't re-attach it whenever they took your dash off.

Comment

At a guess I'd say that the garage forgot to reconnect the slider control wire on the inside of the car, at the dashboard end. Not too sure how it's connected but your Haynes manual ought to show it. If not, one of those on here who have had the dash apart may be able to explain how to reconnect it. At least you have got it working now. Might be simpler to leave it on hot until you get a bit of milder weather up north!!
                        Mike G

Comment

Thanks Tallyman and Sancho.

There looked to be a bit of movement - when I put it all the way on, it would slide to cold, but wouldn't go the other way. So it looks like it may be attached, but its just not pushing open.

But, I'm happy at the moment as I have heating!

I will most certainly be leaving it on HOT - I can't wait to drive it without big thick gloves on, hat etc.

Thanks guys

Comment

Not sure if yours is the same but mine went like this-
                            You will need to remove some fascia bits to be able to view the control mechanism.
                            Follow the heater control cable from behind the dash control fascia to the end of the cable. This should be hooked in to a lever which operates a series of plastic canti-levers which open and close the hot/cold and directional vents. RHS side of the heater box to the left and above of where your left foot sits (assuming you have one, you never know! ).
                            If you have a knack for jigsaw puzzles you`ll be able to work out if all is well or not by manually sliding the lever with your head under the dash. The mechanism can only be fitted one way and any other way or broken parts and the lever cycle will not be complete.
                            All movement should be free and smooth and you can hear the flaps open and close. Sounds like either something is disconnected, assembled incorrectly or broken. Check the cable moves in the casing first of course, !
                            Hope this helps,
                            chris