Lost power, now won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost power, now won't start

Within a few days I have noticed hugh loss of power. Infact when I put my foot full down on power the car slowed down.

Now today my car will not start..
    Is it a fuel problem? (quarter of tank full) Or could it be the ECU.

I have the warning light come up on my dashboard yesterday when I went for full power then the warning went when i drove car slower. According to my "owners handbook" its either a problem with the ECU or the engine and suggests taking the vehicle to the nearest dealer. (yeah right, I cant afford a second mortgage.)

Any idea's please. Has anyone else had this problem and how was it solved and how much did it cost.

My Toyota Hilux Surf 2.4td 1992 has never let me down and it runs a dream. Its only done 145,000km which is nothing compared to my friends rusty old land rover which is still running fine at 250,000miles

Anyway, thankyou for taking time to read my message.

Many thanks.. Wayne

p.s. I would be grateful if you could contact me also through my email address ( waynemetcalfe@hotmail.com )which I can receive on my mobile. Thanks again..

Sounds like a fuel (or possibly air) problem. Have you checked your filters?

Comment

Being serious what happens if you remove the fuel filler cap and put it back on - is there a BIG hiss and can it now run ?

If so your breather is blocked

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Possible loss of boost pressure from turbo . Check all vacum hoses are not split or come off .
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev View Post
          Being serious what happens if you remove the fuel filler cap and put it back on - is there a BIG hiss and can it now run ?

If so your breather is blocked

Trev
          Thanks Trev, i'll give that a try in the morning..

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2 View Post
            Possible loss of boost pressure from turbo . Check all vacum hoses are not split or come off .
            can loss of pressure from turb stop the car from starting. Also there seems to be some oil leaking from the turbo, is that normal.?

Thanks..

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
              Sounds like a fuel (or possibly air) problem. Have you checked your filters?
              Air filter is fine and fuel filter was replaced a few weeks ago. I did check it today and all looks fine.
              I did try sucking on the fuel pipe and nothing come out, is this normal as it needs the engine to draw the fuel or should I have been able to suck diesel easily..

Many thanks to all replies..

And when it is resolved I will post the results.

Comment

Working...
              X