Help... My CT20 A Turbo is in trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help... My CT20 A Turbo is in trouble

Gentlemen... I got a major issue here. I recently purchased a 92 Hilux Surf from a douchebag. From the day i actually took it home it was one thing after the other.
    Thick black smoke. Brakes went. Radiator hose exploded. Guzzling deisel at a ridiculous rate. Owned it for 3 months now.. driven it for 1.5 weeks...

I been trying to figure out the black smoke thing... that was aweful. It was so thick that i could loose the cops in it if i wanted to... Felt like Secret Squirrel or James Bond... anywho.. with much elimination i found out it maybe the turbo leaking. Now... I live in Barbados (caribbean) and the cost of a new turbo is BDS$2400 (£814) which is ludacris... but nothing i can do about it...
    Luckily for me i found a rebuild kit online for around BDS$100 (£34). But the problem is that it says it's for a CT20 or CT26, and what i have is a "CT20 A".
    Will the parts be that different that i should not purchase it? Is there a difference between the CT20 and the CT20 A?
    http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2245233

Secondly, everyone is saying i should sell the bitch. But i like this type of vehicle... it's my first one. Guys... or gals.... tell me.... should i get rid of it?

Help!

Originally posted by Squeelin1 View Post
    Gentlemen... I got a major issue here. I recently purchased a 92 Hilux Surf from a douchebag. From the day i actually took it home it was one thing after the other.
    Thick black smoke. Brakes went. Radiator hose exploded. Guzzling deisel at a ridiculous rate. Owned it for 3 months now.. driven it for 1.5 weeks...

I been trying to figure out the black smoke thing... that was aweful. It was so thick that i could loose the cops in it if i wanted to... Felt like Secret Squirrel or James Bond... anywho.. with much elimination i found out it maybe the turbo leaking. Now... I live in Barbados (caribbean) and the cost of a new turbo is BDS$2400 (£814) which is ludacris... but nothing i can do about it...
    Luckily for me i found a rebuild kit online for around BDS$100 (£34). But the problem is that it says it's for a CT20 or CT26, and what i have is a "CT20 A".
    Will the parts be that different that i should not purchase it? Is there a difference between the CT20 and the CT20 A?
    http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2245233

Secondly, everyone is saying i should sell the bitch. But i like this type of vehicle... it's my first one. Guys... or gals.... tell me.... should i get rid of it?

Help!
    1, firstly is it using a lot of oil,if the turbo seals had gone this would cause the thick black smoke that you talk of.but it would also cause detrimental damage to the engine,you dont mention wether you have a 2lt or a 2lte,the e meaning electronic fuel injection,,would you say the smoke was oily? or would you say its unburnt fuel.if its oily and using oil then deffo turbo seals,if its using a lot of fuel like you said then i would get the fuel injection pump checked out.hope that helps,oh and dont buy the turbo refurb kit,unless you know what your doing,turbos require special tools and balancing,when being refurbed,otherwise they have a tendancy to run unbalanced and go bang.also get the pump timing checked to make sure it is correct,and i would also get the head cracked tested,as they dont normally blow hoses off unless there a build up of pressure,which would also give the symtoms spoke about.
    Last edited by surfenstein; 23 November 2008, 20:08.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

I did a bit of reading on the turbos as someone wanted a turbo from me but wasn't sure if it would fiyt his celica.Anyhow it turns out that the ct20 turbo's are all basically the same apart from they are slightly modded for different vehicles.
      You can buy a decent 2nd hand turbo from one of the guys on here breaking 2.4's or on ebay.
      As prices go at the moment i wouldn't pay more than £75 to £80 plus postage for a 2.4 turbo.I was selling them for about £85 delivered when things started slowing down but i've got none left at the mo.
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Well the engine is a 2.4 electronic fuel injection as far as i know. You guys are very helpful and i appreciate it. From my recollection the smoke was not oily. You mentioned their may be pressure build up. Can u explain... where/how would this happen? my mech just shrugged his shoulders and was like "i ain't know wuh cause dat"...
        You also mentioned that there may be damage to the engine from this mess... sigh... this is sounding worse and worse... what signs am i looking for before my engine dies or whatever...

Thanx again guys. Both of your responses were very helpful

Comment

you mentioned it blew a hose,the first thing to do then is to give it a sniffer test.this will tell you if you have exhaust gases entering the cooling system,there are two ways gases can enter and thats either via a blown head gasket or the head has got hot and cracked.does the coolant bubble out of the header tank after a minute or so of running.??if all checks out ok with the sniffer test then i would start looking at the fuel injection pump and or injectors.check pump timing first.but my bet is the head has cracked.
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
          X