No announcement yet.

Losing 1/2 Liter oil on cold start up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing 1/2 Liter oil on cold start up?

I am losing about a half a liter of oil on a cold start until warmed up.

I am waiting for my compression tester to arrive so not sure about compression yet.

I definately have a major issue and was wondering what possible causes this could be.

I am losing about a half a quart of motor oil on a cold start up. Once it is warm it does not lose any more oil.
    After I warm it up I can top oil off and drive 50 miles with no loss.

When the car is cold it runs like crap with a mixture of some blue and black smoke.

After warmed up it will dump black smoke on acceleration or if you rev the throttle linkage while parked in driveway.

I feel it is a problem with a piston ring but I was wondering if anything else can cause oil loss throught the top of the engine....blow-by.

There is some pressure from dipstick tube, enough to splatter the area a bit if removed.

Could a stuck valve or stcuk injector have anything to do with this.???

Firstly, Hi and welcome - where in the US are you?

Secondly - what do you drive? No details of the truck makes it hard to help...

Sounds like an injector issue on the bad running, but as for the oil use on cold....could be piston ring problem.

Have you got a petrol or diesel motor?
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Thank you,

Sorry bout that, it is a 2lte LN130.

On Long Island in NY, USA.

Comment

Nice place to be - hope the weathers good for you!

Try putting about a litre of Auto Transmission Fluid into the fuel tank, add some injector cleaner, and drive it like you stole it....

You may want to keep putting injector cleaner in on each new tank full, just for a couple of weeks to see if it cleans them out a bit....

IF you have it there, find some stop leak stuff for the engine, it's an oil additive, that may help for now if it's a piston ring leak. I've just done this to mine and the small leak I've had seems to have cleared up..and I'm not using as much oil on start up.

The black smoke is fairly normal for an old diesel, it's just unburned fuel being discharged, but the blue is the same as mine, slightly bad piston ring and burning oil off on start up - but not as much as yours...

Let me know how you get on with that, but get a compression test done as soon as you can.
        Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Looking at your other thread:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=50537

I would suggest you look at your turbo first. If it's leaking oil it's going to be chucking it in with the air and making a fair old bit of smoke.

Comment

I am definately bouncing around with what the problem is being caused by, whether it is turbo related or engine related.

I have noticed now that I do have pressure out the dipstick tube (enough to splatter a bit) and I have lower oil pressure at an idle.

The vehicle ran very good this morning and problem was less severe, actually no oil loss on cold start but after a warm start I did have some loss when restarted but not as bad.

The oil is collecting in my "catch can", is it possible it is still from turbo?

Comment

So far I filled the fuel filter with ATF and ran the truck like I stole it.

I can honestly say I have never ran the truck that hard and it ran great with plenty of power.

It wont even smoke unless you have your foot to the floor. She was running at 4000rpm with no effort and humming along the highway.

I always cruise her at 2700rpm and rarely go over 3200rpm.

It is hard to believe how great it can run like that and have such a problem. I have not run her since she has cooled down, I will try in the morning to see if problem is any better or worse.

I still have the low end smoke on acceleration.

I am wondering if I have to low compression on the low rpm, like between 1500rpm and 2300rpm and then it all tightens up when moving along.....

Not really sure but lets see how bad problem is tomorrow morning.

Still waiting on the compression tester I ordered, may take a week or so.

Comment

update:

I put some sea-foam oil treatment in the valve cover today and when I started the truck up it clanked away like it did with the ether and then the engine ran away I turned the key off but it still ran away for about 5 seconds and then stalled.

The additive went right into one or more cylinders through the valve cover.....

I know that dont sound right so why would that happen, stuck valve maybe or seal?

I changed the oil after I treated it and the problem is still there. I did get some clanking here and there on the highway and then I got lots of white smoke when I was on the street near my home that would not clear up.

Not sure what the white smoke was, it did not smell like anything in particular but was smoking a bunch. I idled car at home in driveway for a few minutes and still white smoke.

Then shut off and sat for 20 minutes started up and went away.

I am wondering if some deposits are loosening from engine and valves and was causing an injector problem.

Is clanking and white smoke something an injector might do if something is wrong?

Comment

Just figure I would give an update.

I did a compression test and here are the results:

Cylinder #1 200PSI
                  Cylinder #2 475PSI
                  Cylinder #3 475PSI
                  Cylinder #4 475PSI

2,3, and 4 were prob over 500 by the 5th crank so they are good. I think the very 1st reading were over 200 on all 3 good ones and shot up hard immediately.

Looks like I have to pull the engine. Too bad there is no other way. When I get it apart I will post some pics.

Comment

Originally posted by scenarioL113 View Post
                    Just figure I would give an update.

I did a compression test and here are the results:

Cylinder #1 200PSI
                    Cylinder #2 475PSI
                    Cylinder #3 475PSI
                    Cylinder #4 475PSI

2,3, and 4 were prob over 500 by the 5th crank so they are good. I think the very 1st reading were over 200 on all 3 good ones and shot up hard immediately.

Looks like I have to pull the engine. Too bad there is no other way. When I get it apart I will post some pics.
                    Hi mate,
                    1/2 liter of oil on start up sounds a lot? may be the valve seals have given up, smoke should be blue tho, Low compression and white smoke, usually mean a blown head gasket or worse, a cracked cylinder head. try to get a block test done, it's a blue fluid that detects combustion gases in the water, gases present, will turn it green. The low comp on No 1 cylinder might be the head gasket, if your lucky.
                    Just a thought, can you see small air bubbles coming from under the head near the engine number?? at front of engine on the air box side.Thats where mine failed.

Hope this helps & good luck
                    If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Grassman I do get blue smoke and black and gray and all kinds....I am burned out from looking at my smoke.

I am pretty sure it is a bad piston ring. I can feel the car gain power when I am driving it at certain times and it smokes very little when doing this.

It also rattles on a cold start while idling and after about 20 seconds it smooths out. That is probably the cylinder gaining compression from the temperature increase and the oil helping to seal the wall.

I am NO mechanic and am purely speculating.

I also believe the valve seals are bad as well.

I am at this point hoping there is no significant damage to the block or the cam.

We will find out very soon.

Comment

I have one with a similar problem.

Hi, I picked up an LN130 2lte today, on a cold start it runs very lumpy and smokes grey colour, the engine is vibrating and cuts out 2 or 3 times or until I have the accelerator pressed when starting it, the smoke clears in about 30 seconds or so and the engine idles is quite normal after this. It drives pretty well gets to 70 - 75 mph without any problem and doesnt smoke after the initial start up.

I was thinking more on the lines of air in fuel or the turbo, what do you guys think?
                        http://www.4x4xfaz.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by fazLN130 View Post
                          Hi, I picked up an LN130 2lte today, on a cold start it runs very lumpy and smokes grey colour, the engine is vibrating and cuts out 2 or 3 times or until I have the accelerator pressed when starting it, the smoke clears in about 30 seconds or so and the engine idles is quite normal after this. It drives pretty well gets to 70 - 75 mph without any problem and doesnt smoke after the initial start up.

I was thinking more on the lines of air in fuel or the turbo, what do you guys think?
                          i would change the fuel filter and fill it with redex or atf and take the truck for a ###### good run to clean the fuel system through.
                          I would actually give the truck a good service unless you know for certain it was very recently done and don't just take the previous owners word on it
                          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

ATF??? automatic transmission fluid?

Hi, I know about injector cleaners and redex but never heard of transmission fluid in the diesel......

The filter looks relatively clean and its possible its been changed recently, I will fill it with injector cleaner and see what effect that has.

Am I right in thinking that if it was a worn piston ring it would be smoking blue?
                            This Surf smokes grey and very little blue ONLY IFi floor it when cold, once warm there is only a tiny bit of the usual black smoke even when pedal is pressed fully NO blue or grey at all.
                            http://www.4x4xfaz.co.uk

Comment

anybody can clean a filter up to look clean.
                              i use atf in mine as i find it better at cleaning the fuel system than redex.I also put some in the tank aswell every so often.
                              If its only on start up i would think it should be ok as you would find it blowing the same colour smoke as you floor it i would of thought.
                              Like i say give the truck a bloomin good service and see if it makes a difference
                              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                              X