Help! Brakes binding after garage adjusted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Brakes binding after garage adjusted

Help - took my beloved new 2.4td back to the garage where I bought it to get brakes checked as there seemed to be a long push on the pedal before the brakes bit -started to feel like they worked properly.

When I got it back, they said it had been adjusted and brakes would work better. Took it to work, driving over mountain road, whole car started to shudder, and it laboured/worked really hard to get up hill. Push on brake pedal and it felt rock hard, which was a bit worrying. As I got to a narrow corner, car coming to meet me ... only just managed to stop the Beast!! duh. Rang garage, took it straight back, was told brake adjustment was not working, and brakes were smelling hot as they had stuck on - binding.

They had it another day, apparently to fix. Got it back today, took it up a steep mountain road to test all working ok. Seemed ok to start with, lots of pull and power uphill as per normal, perhaps just a very slight judder that hadn't been there before; tried brakes - by emergency stop. After that car would barely move and we crept home at slow, slow speed. At one point would not even go in reverse to park! Brakes binding again!?

What do I need to tell these guys in the garage where I bought it? It's still under warranty, but clearly they have not fixed any problem. In fact they've only made the car worse.

Reading other threads, could it be calipers? pistons? I just need some advice so I can be savvy with the mechanics at the garage and don't get fobbed off. To be honest, I'm beginning to wonder if they know what the hell they're doing.
    Last edited by Adarsha & The Beast; 7 November 2008, 00:46.
    Love me Love my Surf!

Did they replace any parts?
    If the original brake pads are still there, and are worn then the caliper pistons could be sticking. Common problem often on the passenger side.
    The rear brake shoes are self adjusting by pulling on the handbrake a few times.
    If you want to drive over to Abercarn I'll sort them for you (no charge, well, maybe a big Mars bar!) if no joy from that garage.

Comment

thanks

No they didn't put any new parts on.

Whew.. thanks ever so much. That's a great offer, very kind of you. Trouble is I'm scared to drive it at the moment, but would be prepared to give it a go. 1. the brakes are jammed or may release and then jam up again. And, 2. will it cause even more damage to the car if I try and drive it like this.

I'm sure the garage hasn't a clue what they're doing though.

Where is Abercan? I live in Ammanford.

With the info you've given me I'll take the garage to task tomorrow, (at some point cos I'm working a 12 hour shift - duh) but they seem to have created this problem somehow, so they need to fix it I reckon. Thanks for your advice though, much appreciated. This is just the best site!
      Last edited by Adarsha & The Beast; 7 November 2008, 01:20.
      Love me Love my Surf!

Comment

Abercarn is over near Newport.
        It is quite a distance as there is no direct route other than the M4.

Tell the garage that your truck is dangerous to drive like it is and you want it fixed.
        The caliper pistons develop a ring of corrosion around the exposed part and as the pads wear down the pistons move out further and then can't retract fully when the pedal is released causing the brakes to 'drag'
        They can be removed and cleaned up instead of replacing.

If your truck is hard to reverse, then they've probably over adjusted the rear shoes via the adjusters in the brake drums. (doing it that way gives the pedal a firmer 'feel' but as soon as you use the hand brake, they rear brakes will be stuck on.)

So basically, they need to back off the adjusters inside the rear drums so that the wheels can just turn freely, then pull on the handbrake a few times (without touching the foot brake) so that the rear shoes are correctly adjusted.
        Check the fluid level and top up if necessary.
        Don't hand over any money untill it's sorted.

Comment

If you have a choice take it to another garage. These guys sound like idiots. As Vince says, rear shoe adjustment is not that difficult to get right and front could be pistons seizing and also not that difficult to diagnose. It should take someone with a knowledge of brakes very little time to diagnose.

Nev
          Last edited by NiftyNev; 7 November 2008, 02:32.

Comment

great advice

Thanks, that's so much appreciated, I'll give the garage all the info you've very kindly given me and see if they fix it this time. God only knows who they had working on it, but I don't think they knew what they were doing. I'll let you know how it goes. Bushwacker - you're a star, a fountain of knowledge.
            Love me Love my Surf!

Comment

UPdate

Hi guys, thanks for all your info. I gave the garage a list of what you said Vince (aka Bushwacker) - thanks, they are now sorting it out properly, (hopefully) have ordered new brake pads and I should get it back Mon/Tues all working properly, mmm watch this space.

Nothing like being a single woman, you'd be amazed... garages, cars, etc... they seem to think they can get away with stuff, pull the wool over my eyes, I swear sometimes it's just because I'm a woman!!!

Thanks to you great guys on the forum I can go in with some knowledge. Fore-warned and fore-armed, great stuff. Much appreciated.
              Love me Love my Surf!

Comment

Any other truck problems, just make sure you ask on here first.

We may also be able to help with other problems too, but not women's problems, nobody can help you with those!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  We may also be able to help with other problems too, but not women's problems, nobody can help you with those!

"not women's problems, nobody can help you with those!"
                  Ya cheeky boy Vince !!

There's always a Payback .... Don't expect a warning tho !!!!
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

Just imagine if Adarsha had pmt when she went in the garage.Hell she would of had the truck back all repaired before she knew it......lol
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Laughter and pmt... lol

LOL, what are you guys like... for the record I no longer get PMT, if I ever did get it.. maybe I'm one of the rather unusual women who believe that PMT is actually just an excuse - used by some ladies - to get all their emotions out! Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, but I don't believe it exists.

Bet that'll start an argument if any other women read it... lol

Thanks guys.
                      Adarsha
                      Love me Love my Surf!

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                        Just imagine if Adarsha had pmt when she went in the garage.Hell she would of had the truck back all repaired before she knew it......lol

Hey Rich what's this pmt is it a new Toyota ?? "Permanently Modified Toyota"
                        n there only fixing the Brakes or are they !!!
                        It's simple enough to do Brakes or not in this case n to come outta the Garage worse than it went in ....well there just takin the pitthh n FCUKing numbsculls....
                        Hope ya get it n them sortit, Good Luck

There's always a Payback .... Don't expect any warnin tho !!!!
                        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Thank you guys - all sorted now.

Thanks you all so much, this forum is brilliant, and it's brilliant because of all you lovely people who helped me.

The Beast is all fixed up now, brakes are working very well. It was away from me for a week, and I pined for it.. so glad my Surf is back. I never thought I could enjoy a car as much as I do this one.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for all your help and advice, it was soo worthwhile.

Adarsha
                          Love me Love my Surf!

Comment

A week! I'd hate to think how long it would take if they hadn't given the job priority.

Nev

Comment

ha ha ha

Nev, they fixed it, they put new pads on and did something with a pipe they said was collapsing, whatever they did, it's working fine now, thank god, and... better still it didn't cost me a single penny. Well, apart from the fuel the guzzled up when they took it out for all the test drives, ha ha ha. I can't really complain can I? But I have to say without the input from all you lovely guys, it may not have got fixed. So a big thank you, and when I get paid I will put my donation / subs in to help the site, because it's well worth it. Hugs ( yes I'm one of those - a hugger) Adarsha
                              Love me Love my Surf!

Comment

Working...
                              X