Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4WD Light?

hi guys,
    i'm about to get this particular Surf. There's one problem that's bothering me. here it goes....

I have test drived other surfs and if i remember correctly, the "4WD" light will come on when i press the 4WD button at the side of the 4WD gearstick and the light will go off when i release it. But when i test drived the surf i'm thinking of getting few days back, the light will not come on when i press the button! I asked a mechanic and was told that it was probably due to the some leak in the vacuum in the transmission. The mechanic also said that that the car might not have been engaged in 4WD for a long time. And will be ok after engaging it after a few more times. True enough, after the mechanic engaged it a few more times, the light did go on and off at the flick of the button. What the mechanic said, is that true? Are there other reasons? The owner did claim that she hasn't put it in 4WD for a long time.

Need advice on this. Would love to get the car soon if there are no major issues.

Thanx

Monkey

Originally posted by ausurfer
    hi guys,
    i'm about to get this particular Surf. There's one problem that's bothering me. here it goes....

I have test drived other surfs and if i remember correctly, the "4WD" light will come on when i press the 4WD button at the side of the 4WD gearstick and the light will go off when i release it. But when i test drived the surf i'm thinking of getting few days back, the light will not come on when i press the button! I asked a mechanic and was told that it was probably due to the some leak in the vacuum in the transmission. The mechanic also said that that the car might not have been engaged in 4WD for a long time. And will be ok after engaging it after a few more times. True enough, after the mechanic engaged it a few more times, the light did go on and off at the flick of the button. What the mechanic said, is that true? Are there other reasons? The owner did claim that she hasn't put it in 4WD for a long time.

Need advice on this. Would love to get the car soon if there are no major issues.

Thanx

Monkey

Sounds about right to me. The ADD (automatic disconnecting differential) mechanism can get a bit sticky when not used for a while.

If it's working now I wouldn't expect there to be any further problems.

One last thing to remember, don't use 4WD on hard surfaces on a 1st or 2nd gen Surf, there is no centre differential so you will get axle wind up which potentially won't do the drive train any good at all.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
      Sounds about right to me. The ADD (automatic disconnecting differential) mechanism can get a bit sticky when not used for a while.

If it's working now I wouldn't expect there to be any further problems.

One last thing to remember, don't use 4WD on hard surfaces on a 1st or 2nd gen Surf, there is no centre differential so you will get axle wind up which potentially won't do the drive train any good at all.

Cheers
      thanx for your reply. sure made me feel better.
      anyone else have any other comments?

monkey

Comment

.......anyone else have any other comments?.....
        Nope, what Andy said.

But welcome to Surfdom, many happy years of Surfin await
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

thanx for your reply. sure made me feel better.
          anyone else have any other comments?

monkey
          If you can, take it for a drive on some wet stuff (bit of mud) and boot it in 4wd get the wheels spinning just to give it a work out as it hasn't been used for a long time.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Working...
          X