Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misfire starting from cold

Model: LN130 2.4TD 2L-TE

I've recently been experiencing misfiring after start-up from cold. I initally thought the problem was glow plugs and replaced them all but even though it now starts better (one of the plugs was faulty), and will idle fine, I still get bad misfiring and greyish plumes of smoke with the revs at about 1K5 - 2K.
    The misfing lasts for about 20-30secs and then all but goes, though there is still a slight holding back when driving in the same rev range - even when thoroughly warmed up.
    When re-starting with engine warmed up, there is no misfire/smoke.

I recently had a garage fit new head (old one cracked) and this does seem to have got worse since then. Also noticed they'd left what I believe is an inlet air temp. sensor off (plugs into rubber inlet hosing after airbox). I'm also losing a small amount of coolant but could be from weeping hoses.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Jonathan

Could be some air getting into the fuel. Have you re-newed the fuel filter recently?
    Water in the fuel?
    Have you emptied the water from the filter drain off? (White plastic fitting under the filter)

Comment

Fuel filter was replaced about a month ago - no water in trap then.
      Haven't checked since but no warning light on dash, will double check.

Thanks

Comment

Have you still got your EGR valve connected???
        If you have then make sure it is not stuck in the open position, even if it's disconnected still make sure it's closed.

Or better still take it off and blank off the manifold holes.

My 2.4 did the same as your's till the EGR which was disconnected, was taken off and found not to be closed fully.
        IT's not how you get in it . IT's how you get out.

Comment

EGR is still connected so will check operation (I guess it's possible it wasn't reconnected correctly after the cowboys swapped the head) - thanks sounds like a good place to start.

Checked fuel filter, no water in trap.

Jonathan

Comment

Em, take it back to the garage that broke it and tell them to fix it! Or am I being a simplistic old Andy?
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Did you fix this issue?

Hello mate, did you get to the bottom of this? How did you fix this issue?
              http://www.4x4xfaz.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X