Hello everyone, advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone, advice please

Hello everyone, I just bought a Toyota Surf 1993 on a K plate. Having looked for as much info' as I could before buying and asking questions of the seller, it seems like a good car, hopefully it will be. Unfortunately no manual with The Beast (as I like to call it), but I totally love it, it's smooth and amazing, ok., only a 2.4 diesel automatic - but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the speed of acceleration (maybe I'm just too used to my other car) but I keep looking at the dials and little buttons and switches (remember I only got this car today) and with no manual wonder what they all do. I'm working it all out slowly but any advice would be greatfully recieved.

My one worry is that there is a bit in the dial on the dash that says TURBO, with what looks like a space that should light up. How can I tell if the Turbo is actually kicking in? Is there a light that should light up here? The kickdown works, but no light, and going uphill is painfully slow. Forgive my ignorance, but if you don't ask you don't get. Any advice please? Thanks
    Love me Love my Surf!

If the light is not coming on you have a problem. Mine lights when the turbop kicks in. Do a search for the turbo pipes and you'll get a diagram of where they all go.

Comment

Could be just the Turbo Pressure Rensor hose that has come adrift. Very common.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...b9ef94dffee091

Nev

Comment

Thanks, couple more questions.... if you don't mind

Thanks very much for the advice. I have worked out that the little green turbo light does come on when the engine first checks up before starting. Is the light meant to light up when the turbo kicks in as your driving along?

Found a good site full of info that you all probably know about anyway, but here's the link just in case. I found the glove box manual in there amongst lots of other very useful diagnostic tools, all good, good.

Here's the link: http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/downloads.htm

One more question? The coolant, what do you use to top this up, (ok I know that sounds stupid) and are there any BAD signs I should look out for that may suggest a problem of some sort. It looks slightly oily in there to me, should it be that way? Or is that suggesting a possible problem?

I have a warranty with The Beast, so I'm keen to give it as much work as possible so that I can check all is working as it should be. Also to check that it's ok, looks ok, sounds ok, so I'm just crossing my fingers I've got a good'un.

Oh yeh, it's just me, two sons, three dogs, so as a lady driver, I'll be paying someone if it needs servicing or work done in the future. Do you know of, or can anyone recommend a good mechanic/garage near Ammanford; Swansea or Carmarthen would be close enough too.

Meanwhile, really, really enjoying driving my Surf woo hoo. Don't you just love it.

Adarsha
        Last edited by Adarsha & The Beast; 9 October 2008, 23:26. Reason: One more question?
        Love me Love my Surf!

Comment

the expansion tank in front of the battery on the passenger side should be about 1/3 to 1/2 full.You need to check the coolant levels from the Rad cap which isn't actually on the radiator.Ideally you should use the red coolant for the truck which you can get from roughtrax.

Did the truck have a full service when you bought it and that includes all the belts inc timing belt,filters,coolant,oilrad cap and thermostat.If not then i would suggest going back to the garage and asking about it or just get it sorted yourself.
          There are a few members around South Wales so there should always be someone at hand to help you out if needed.Put a thread up in the general section as and when you need any help as you will get a quicker reply there.I will be up in south Wales in the next few weeks to collect a breaker so if you want to meet up somewhere for a quick hello let me know
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Adarsha & The Beast View Post
            One more question? The coolant, what do you use to top this up, (ok I know that sounds stupid) and are there any BAD signs I should look out for that may suggest a problem of some sort. It looks slightly oily in there to me, should it be that way? Or is that suggesting a possible problem?
            Never mix types or colours of coolant. If it has not had a flush then I suggest you have it done to clean out the cooling system. Refill with coolant of your choice. I don't see any advantage in using the Toyota red coolant. I never have.

Nev

Comment

Check hose marked in red is connected. It controls the Turbo Pressure Sensor and activates the light.

Nev
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys

Thanks very much all of you. The Beast has had the timing belt done and other maintenance, so that seems ok. I think I just need to go back and chat with the garage about the service, and get them to check the coolant and also the Turbo sensor. The light does come on when I start it up, but doesn't come on whilst I'm driving. It doesn't seem to overheat, but pin on dash reaches about midway, so seems ok.

So far I've had it less than a week and only used it for running back and for to work over a part of the Brecon Beacons, it doesn't pull that well, but not that bad either now I've taken it out of overdrive!! lol.

Next weekend I'm taking my sons to Alton Towers, (I'm like a big kid, I'll have fun there too) so we'll take The Beast to give it a good long run on all sorts of roads, see how it goes then.

God only knows what the man in the garage thought when I was looking at it before buying, cos I was out on my and knees with a small torch, in the rain, looking underneath it for anything odd looking, rust, or whatever else. I'm no expert, but my old dad taught me well, part and parcel of growing up on a farm.

Oh yeh and Nev.. I lived in SA for four years from 2000; had a Toyota out there and did lots of off road, but my fella (of that time) used to do all the maintenance. What part of Australia are you in?

And yes, Richard/Stormforce would like to say hello if we can arrange a meet up when you're in Wales, that'd be good.

And sorry to sound dim.... but I will work out how to put a post on the main pages, not sure how this one ended up hidden, maybe it was in new members or something... lol.

Enjoy enjoy
                Adarsha
                Love me Love my Surf!

Comment

http://forums.bauchan.org/portal/dow...hp?dcid=15&p=1

think the turbo manual is on the 3rd page matey

welcome to the forums by the way
                  am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Welcome to the mad house,hope you enjoy your surf.I`m not that far away,10 miles from Port Talbot,top end of the Afan Valley.May be able to help if you get stuck,but can`t promise.
                    I swear to drunk I`m not God.

Comment

Working...
                    X