Wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel bearings

Hi folks I could do with a wee bit advice if you have the time.

I have searched but I am still a little unsure what to try next.

My surf has developed that kind of rolling road noise normally associated with the wheel bearings. My haynes manual does not mention anything about the rear wheel bearings! Noise - same when in drive as when vehicle is coasting: Front wheel bearings loose, worn or damaged. Why do you reckon they do not mention them as a possible problem with the front? The rear bearings sound like a nightmare from what I’ve read.

I have jacked up each wheel and checked for anything unusual but all seams fine. I guess if I am going to the trouble of repacking them with grease etc I might as well replace them for new.

Anyone had a similar problem???

Cheers…

Originally posted by Mrbill View Post
    Hi folks I could do with a wee bit advice if you have the time.

I have searched but I am still a little unsure what to try next.

My surf has developed that kind of rolling road noise normally associated with the wheel bearings. My haynes manual does not mention anything about the rear wheel bearings! Noise - same when in drive as when vehicle is coasting: Front wheel bearings loose, worn or damaged. Why do you reckon they do not mention them as a possible problem with the front? The rear bearings sound like a nightmare from what I’ve read.

I have jacked up each wheel and checked for anything unusual but all seams fine. I guess if I am going to the trouble of repacking them with grease etc I might as well replace them for new.

Anyone had a similar problem???

Cheers…
    had a similar thing, had noisy bearings changed them all quiet, 1000 miles later similar noise...bum, had a think didnt grease the new ones, get new bearings, remove old, bit quicker this time cos I know how to wreck the old ones off! discover new bearings are the same as the others...sealed dont need grease...double bum, reasemble, still noise, consult Dr Anglgrinder change dif, all quiet ....Oh well 2 bonuses I know how to change rear wheel bearings and a dif...downside? torn tendons in shoulder, difs are heavy, brused belly - thats where it landed and a lighter wallet!
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

Comment

Thanks for that fatfires - bugger! I feel the sound is coming from the back but it is so difficult to pin down really.

I don't think it's the diff but I could well be wrong - I often am. When I disengage drive when driving there is no change in the sound, also the sound does not alter with the engine RPM.

The wheel bearing kit for a Surf are so expensive, it would be a shame to buy and fit the wrong ones :-)

My workshop manual does not cover the rear for some reason

Comment

Could you describe the noise better? What about propshaft? Do you keep the UJs greased properly? Try touching each individual bearing on the prop (four per UJ) after a drive and see if any are hotter than the rest.

Other thing - front wheel bearings on the 2nd gen are NOT sealed (not the ones I've seen anyway) and should be liberally greased.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Erm cough..
          Originally posted by fatfires View Post
          Oh well 2 bonuses I know how to change rear wheel bearings and a dif...downside? torn tendons in shoulder, difs are heavy, brused belly - thats where it landed and a lighter wallet!
          Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Mrbill View Post
            Thanks for that fatfires - bugger! I feel the sound is coming from the back but it is so difficult to pin down really.

I don't think it's the diff but I could well be wrong - I often am. When I disengage drive when driving there is no change in the sound, also the sound does not alter with the engine RPM.

The wheel bearing kit for a Surf are so expensive, it would be a shame to buy and fit the wrong ones :-)

My workshop manual does not cover the rear for some reason
            Thing is your truck is how many years old? the way i saw it if you can aford it , is it so wrong to replace them anyway?
            Tony

Comment

Wouldnt rule out the bronze bushes, when mine went it sounded like it was coming from the rear or shaft underneath. Turned out front bronze bushes were knackered
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Thanks folks!

Apache, I guess the sound is like an exaggerated roar from mud tyres. I have been using Insa turbo Sahara remoulds for the past 2000 miles so I am used to the level of noise they make though. I'll check for a hot UJ bearing :-)

bronze bushes! Right, much options to work with.

Ok Fatfires, Time to start replacing the old for the new.I'll start at the front and work back.

Great stuff - Cheers!!!!

Comment

Abnormal Noise

I had/have what I think is the same problem as the one you are describing. It was suggested to me to change out the brass bushings the front drive shafts go through at the hub. I changed them out (although the old ones looked to be fine), and the noise persists. I am at a loss as too what it would be as well, so I am following this thread closely.
                  1991 Hilux Surf 2.4td
                  2.5" exhaust, Cherry Bomb muffler
                  Custom winch bumper, Warn 9500HS
                  Boost Controller running 13lbs
                  Dual Optima Red Tops
                  K&N Air Filter

Comment

Working...
                  X