tracking down oil leak,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tracking down oil leak,

Trying to tack down where this oil is coming from and have noticed other things, would like your opinions please

Took the air intake to the throttle body off adn find lots of oil sitting at the bottom of the pipe

More around the TB accelerator wire assembly

Seems to be a leak from this part on the drive shaft, is this right.

Here you can see some leaking from the gasket it would seem or maybe from the pipe above as this seems heavily oiled (ie the source)

More oil

Whats this overflow looking pipe thing

First photo, thats usually oil vapour from the breather hose on the valve cover thats condensed in the intake ducting, eventually dribbling out. Just clean them out and re-fit.

Second photo, either the same as above or the rear of the valve cover's gasket is leaking, commom fault, couple of quid to fix. Evident in the fourth and fifth photos as the oil eventually runs down onto the bell-housing/transmission.

Third photo, thats just the grease showing from the slip joint on the front driveshaft, more worrying if it was dry to be honest.

Last photo, thats the drain off for the air-con.

p.s. Lexusownersclub??????????
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 28 September 2008, 00:26.

Comment

thanks for the quick reply. youve eased my mind somewhat.

Re the slip joint, the rear one doesnt have the ring of oil, should i be woried, how do i sort that.

Re lexuxownersclub, im a member there (previous supercharged IS200, nitrous'd IS300) and i used them to host the pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargo View Post
        thanks for the quick reply. youve eased my mind somewhat.

Re the slip joint, the rear one doesnt have the ring of oil, should i be woried, how do i sort that.

Re lexuxownersclub, im a member there (previous supercharged IS200, nitrous'd IS300) and i used them to host the pics.

The front slip joint doesn't get as much use and the rear one, as the front suspension doesn't articulate as much.

There are grease nipples on both propshafts that require pumping with grease as often as you would change the engine oil really.

My truck is part Lexus.

Comment

why is your lux part lex, have you a spec list of your truck somewhere.

Comment

why is your lux part lex, have you a spec list of your truck somewhere.
            theres a clue in his profile Fargo
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

the engine perhaps

Comment

the engine perhaps
                Yup...

and the transmission, and the dash.......

Comment

ooooooo i like the dash, how can that be added,

Comment

ooooooo i like the dash, how can that be added,

Lots of, measuring, chopping, foam filler. fibreglass mat, resin, wiring, sanding, head scratching and time!

Comment

lol i got plenty of that. fitted a custom touchscreen carputer to my IS300 http://fargosys.com/html/carputer_project.html

and also a complete custom LED dash change.. the first in the uk i might add at at that

so tell me, Re the electronics for that dash, easy/hard.

Comment

Not hard really, just time consuming.
                        I have all the Lexus and Surf/4Runner wiring diagrams including the instrument clusters, plus everything is numbered, althought very tiny numbers, on the insides of the multiplugs. (Which I never realised 'till I was almost finished!)

p.s. I'm the first in the U.K to fit the Lexus dash cluster into 2.4 Surf.
                        Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 29 September 2008, 20:46.

Comment

so these numbers, are you saying its pretty much numberX surf cluster goes to numberX lexus cluster. any chance i could get a copy of said diagrams.
                          What is the cost of a cluster and could this be obtained from the breakers. just to be clear what model/year lexus did you take that from, the RX series i assume.

pps im the first in the WORLD to work out how to keep the lexus sat nav working when the lexus headunit is removed.

Comment

It's from an LS400 I bought a complete car for the engine and transmission, but you can get the dash cluster from breakers, have a look on ebay, there's usually a few on there.

The numbers are in the Lexus multiplugs, which corrospond with numbers on the wiring diagram so you can see what goes where. Then it's just a matter of tracing and connecting the relevant wires from the Surf's dash (fuel, water temp, tacho, alt, oil, ECT, O/D, speedo etc) to the Lexus'

I'll scan and post the wiring diagrams in the morning.

A video just to show off.(You'll need your speakers on)

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a41...t=100_1208.flv

Comment

thank you very much for the info mr whacker, i await the diagrams.

nice vid also

Comment

Working...
                              X