Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Altenator Tip

TIPS:

1) If you purchase a new or 2nd hand Altenator for your LN130 2.4 TDI, especially the 1992 and earlier models, CHECK THE CONNECTOR TYPE.

My 1992 SSR-X has a 3 wire round black plug going into the back of the altenator. The 'newer' alts require an oval 3 wire plug (in grey as it happens). The Roughtrax website says the new one fits 1992 onwards. Mine is a 1992, without the side light 'blips' but it still has the old connector, SO CHECK FIRST..... I guess there was a change over period rather than a specific cut off point where they used the newer connector. I sourced one from Stormy for a few beer tokens, and it is fine.

This is the pic of the 'newer' connector from RT, top middle of image.

2) The bolt on the larger of the two vacuum hoses is different. The new one is flat, the old one is recessed. The flat one does not seal well, so I ended up using the recessed one from the old alt. Also, dont put too much pressure on the nut when tightening it up or you will strip the thread, requiring the whole connector to be replaced with the old one from the old alt........ guess how i found that out?

The brass coloured connector at the bottom left of this image is the one.

3) the new units have a solid billit where the pivit bar goes through at the bottom. The old ones have bushes built in, and there is also a bush on the mounting bracket which can work its way out a bit. This bush needed to be pushed back in a bit because the new alt was 2 mm bigger than the gap it needed to go into.... I put a bolt through one end of the bracket and used it to force a large socket from the tool box up against the bush, pushing it back into place. Worked a treat and the alt slipped in nicely.

4) remove your left hand battery, the Air Con unit, the air con belt tensioner arm and the big cast iron altenator support bracket (four fluck-off big bolts in hard to get to places....) to enable you to get at the alt easily.

It took me a couple of hours to sort, but luckily my air con is long gone, so I have oooooodles of space and I didnt have the hassle of it getting in the way.

hope that helps.

hope this is of use.
    Last edited by legendgamesmaster; 27 September 2008, 10:24. Reason: added pic link
    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.
Working...
X