Lpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lpg

I've been looking around the net and some people seem to think that adding LPG to the air intake makes a diesel engine run more economically and more powerful. Anyone tried it on a Surf?

Someone gave it a whirl, I believe. Do a search on here for LPG fumigation.

Comment

Taken a look. There seem to be conflicting reports across the net about LPG in diesel engines. From what I can see it appears to make the diesel burn more efficiently. However the reasons for this happening I think would also be occuring by adding 8% unleaded to the diesel tank. Ie the petrol would ignite the unbernt diesel on the cold spots of the combustion chamber. Petrol would also have the advantage of displacing the diesel rather than going in in addition to the diesel so would reduce the diesel going in and increase the performance from the same amount of fuel which in theory is going to be better than LPG goin into the air intake. I have a gas conversion on a petrol engine which I am tempted to remove and trial on the Surf.

Comment

As with any modification, there is always an element of risk, both expected and unexpected. The trick is to gather all of the reputable information you can find and check through them all together. There will be some where they are talking through their arse, some where it's personal opinion or preference only and then some which is pure and simple fact. You need to extract the facts. The opinions/preferences will be fairly easily spotted if you compare several lots of documentation against each other on their respective parts.

After that, it's just a case of evaluating whether you are willing to take the inherent risk with your vehicle, (and their will be some risk, however minor). What you are willing to repair if needs be will literally be your restraining factor.

Comment

http://www.mrsharkey.com/lpg.htm is my fave lpg fumigation site.
          ray

Comment

Working...
          X