Problem with stereo wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with stereo wiring?

Hi guys can you please help the guy which i brought my Hilux surf from took out his stereo and since then i`ve had nothing but problems from engine not starting etc. I find that if i move the wires the Hilux will then start, the problem i have is also because its an import the wires are total different colours and i`ve not been able to wire my own stereo in. The guy took the lot out including the connections into the back of the stereo so it wasnt like i could plug my stereo straight in. The wires are stort and its got every colour wire under the sun????
    PLEASE HELP!
    Last edited by clarirose; 26 September 2008, 12:42.

Page 9 of this should help with the wire colours.

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
      Page 9 of this should help with the wire colours.

Rob.
      Followed those instructions to a T and the stereo comes on but no sound at all from any speakers. There are red and black wires that are connected to the speakers in the back, and red and black driver side speaker and then pink and purple on the front passenger side. Connected a white/black wire to a turquoise wire and started to get crackling from drivers side speaker, but still no sound checked all fuses fine, stero is new so thats not the problem. I`ve even got my partner out there having a go and he`s none the wiser, whats so dame annoying about it is we both have wired in stereo`s before and this has got us stumped big time?????????

Comment

The speakers are still there right?!

If the guys ripped out the CD player he may have taken it all with him.

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
          The speakers are still there right?!

If the guys ripped out the CD player he may have taken it all with him.
          Speakers are all there and still connected and we know they work because he left the stereo in there for a week before removing it, but he`s taken all the clips and just left us bare wires so we had no idea what they were connected to?

We have had to add the chocolate boxes.
          Last edited by clarirose; 26 September 2008, 18:22.

Comment

Does your aerial operate? The rear speakers only work when the aerial is up as they have their own amps which take their power from the aerial. The front speakers are not as good as the rears and if an aftermarket stereo has been fitted and the rear speakers not wired properly which is quite common, then the front speakers could have been used at high volume and blown. Also check your not setting the fader to rear.

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsDigital View Post
              Does your aerial operate? The rear speakers only work when the aerial is up as they have their own amps which take their power from the aerial. The front speakers are not as good as the rears and if an aftermarket stereo has been fitted and the rear speakers not wired properly which is quite common, then the front speakers could have been used at high volume and blown. Also check your not setting the fader to rear.
              No we have only managed to get power to the stereo and thats it, as for the speakers we have wired the stereo and them as shown in the link above which then leaves 4 spare wires. We have no idea what they are for, pink/blue stripes,white/black stripes, orange/silver stripes, turquoise?

Comment

What I'd do is start by getting a voltmeter on all the wires and work out which are earths and which are live / switched live. Then I'd drop the bottom half of the dash and see what wires are attatched to the front speakers.

That will just leave the rear speaker wires and the 2 aerial wires to sort out.

Rob.

Comment

thanks guys and girls got a mate coming round to sort 2mo

Comment

Originally posted by clarirose View Post
                    Speakers are all there and still connected and we know they work because he left the stereo in there for a week before removing it, but he`s taken all the clips and just left us bare wires so we had no idea what they were connected to?

We have had to add the chocolate boxes.
                    Hi guys everything was working great till the stereo blow, not happy it wasnt an old stereo either. Now the problem has started again and the car will not start, its something to do with the wires because if you move certain wires the car will start, but its different wires all the time?
                    Now i cant get it to start at all and this is getting very fustrating Please help

Comment

Take the stereo out and call an auto-electrician, he will sort it and install the unit in no time1
                      Shouldn't cost you too much.
                      (sometimes ya jus' gotta bite the bullet)
                      Alan

(if you really have to do it yourself, the earliest i can get mine out and take some pics will be sunday!)
                      www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                        That will just leave the rear speaker wires and the 2 aerial wires to sort out.

Rob.
                        I'm currently at this stage, I have my stereo powered and the front speakers working, aerial and back speakers not working yet.

I have a few questions however.

1) Are the colours for the rear speakers and aerial quoted here (http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/869017.pdf) correct?

2) Why are there 2 aerial out wires? Are the +12v and ground which would be odd or possibly something like +6v and -6v?

3) Are the aerial out wires powering the aerial and amp or are they just switches for a relay in between the aerial and headunit?

4) Will the rear amps be powered if the aerial is broken mechanically and doesn't extend even if powered properly?

5) Would it just be possible to connect the aerial wires to the ignition wire going to the headunit that is +12v whenever the ignition is on? I wouldn't mind having my aerial up all the time and the current draw from the amps shouldn't be too much should it?

I'm trying to sort this out asap so any help would be appreciated,
                        Thanks

Edit: It's a 2nd gen too btw.
                        Last edited by Stoned Hippy; 17 January 2009, 23:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoned Hippy View Post
                          I'm currently at this stage, I have my stereo powered and the front speakers working, aerial and back speakers not working yet.

I have a few questions however.

1) Are the colours for the rear speakers and aerial quoted here (http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/869017.pdf) correct?

2) Why are there 2 aerial out wires? Are the +12v and ground which would be odd or possibly something like +6v and -6v?

3) Are the aerial out wires powering the aerial and amp or are they just switches for a relay in between the aerial and headunit?

4) Will the rear amps be powered if the aerial is broken mechanically and doesn't extend even if powered properly?

5) Would it just be possible to connect the aerial wires to the ignition wire going to the headunit that is +12v whenever the ignition is on? I wouldn't mind having my aerial up all the time and the current draw from the amps shouldn't be too much should it?

I'm trying to sort this out asap so any help would be appreciated,
                          Thanks

Edit: It's a 2nd gen too btw.

I'll have a go at some of them...

1) I think they're correct, but installed mine before I was aware of the install doctor pdf.

2) I believe 1 wire for the aerial, 1 for the rear amps. (not relevant though - just make sure both get power when the stereo is on)

3) They won't be the power source. They will be switch wires even if the relay is in the aerial / amp itself. Pretty certain I hear a click behind the dash for the aerial suggesting a relay there.

4) Yes

5) Yes you can do that but you shouldn't need to. Your headunit should have a blue wire that is the amp / aerial remote lead. (sometimes they have 2 wires - 1 to switch amps on, and 1 for the aerial - the aerial only comes up if your unit is switched to radio or has TA selected ) ones blue, ones blue with a white stripe btw.

Try your headunit manufacturers site for a manual - that will let you know whats what.

Quite often the remote lead on headunits can stop working if the amps break etc. Meant to use a relay with a diode across it for protection. Most people don't bother.

hth,
                          Rob.

Comment

Had a go at re wiring today and it worked a treat!

For future reference the diagram on the website linked above had the correct layout and colours. I simply connected the 2 antenna wires together and connected them to the amp signal output on my head unit and it works a treat.

The two extra speakers in the back really make a difference to the overall sound quality, well worth wiring up if you haven't already.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Good stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X