2.4 overheating help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 overheating help?

as some of you know, I'm working on modifications to the auto gearbox (mainly) to enable lockup at speeds lower than normal, and in gears other than OD.

As you probably know, the auto gearbox is a big generator of heat, and that heat is dumped into the cooling system via the in rad ATF cooler. One way of mitigating this is to use an ATF cooler before the ATF goes into the rad. However, i've been doing a bit of research.

ATF works hardest when the torque converter is not locked and there is a lot of load on the engine - ie towing, climbing hills, offroad in low gears.

I had a little play at lunch time and found you can engage lockup in 2nd gear if you select 2nd gear on the box. This means whilst you're plodding up steep hills (or following another 2.4 up the hill before Strata Florida ) you should be able to reduce the amount of heat in the ATF considerably, just when you need to most - ie not much airflow over rad / ATF working hard.

This is applicable to 3.0s too - I've overheated my ATF a couple of times when heavily loaded and climbing steep hills.

Just something that might be worth considering if your truck works hard!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

I discovered today that I can get T/C lock-up at 1500 rpm when up to cruising speed (40ish mph) and feathering the throttle!!!!!!

Dunno if thats good or bad at the moment.

Comment

Probably about right for the engine you've got. It must have buckets of torque!

The 3.0 is at 1500rpm at 40mph in lockup / OD, and about 1700 @ 30mph in lockup / 3rd. A 3.0TD should be fine with those sort of ratios.

Looking forward to a long A road trip to see if it makes a difference to mpg.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
      X