help!! pump and check light probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help!! pump and check light probs

g'day folks. i am new to this, but, just bought a 91 ssr limited 2.4lt turbo diesel. it overheated in january apparently and had all new top end put now the diesel pump is literally teeming diesel out when motor is running and for a few minutes after shutdown. i have tried to see where leak is coming from but can only see where it is running down block and over sump. when on h/way it is throwing diesel all under vehicle and up onto rear of car. also the engine check light on dash comes on when you turn on ignition then goes out and comes back on again and stays on while engine is running.
    can anyone tell me
    1- is the check light because of the leak
    2- how to ascertain where leak is coming from and if i need to remove complete pump to renew seals.
    it also has a suspension switch on the console with normal or hard. when switched to hard are you supposed to notice a considerable change and should a light come on dash to indicate this.
    thanks to anyone who can help.
    regards
    bryan

Normally the top lid of the pump leaks, occasionally the side covers near the bottom.

If its higher up then it much be coming from the injectors or the fuel return rail.

You need to pull the check codes and see what fault the ECU has, then you know what to check.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

it also has a suspension switch on the console with normal or hard. when switched to hard are you supposed to notice a considerable change and should a light come on dash to indicate this.
      hi mate, i have a 93 2.4, flicking the switch to hard is like going from driving a boat to feeling like sitting on rails (very hard ride). yeah dash light reads 'hard'.

atb, steve.
      Last edited by blynde; 26 July 2008, 13:23.
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      . cheers atb blynde .

Comment

Originally posted by blynde View Post
        hi mate, i have a 93 2.4, flicking the switch to hard is like going from driving a boat to feeling like sitting on rails (very hard ride). yeah dash light reads 'hard'.

atb, steve.
        Thanks Steve, i will have to open her up and have a look as the light doesn't come on and no change in ride noted. thanks again. cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
          Normally the top lid of the pump leaks, occasionally the side covers near the bottom.

If its higher up then it much be coming from the injectors or the fuel return rail.

You need to pull the check codes and see what fault the ECU has, then you know what to check.
          thanks tonyn
          i have a suspicion it is coming from top cover as there always seems to be diesel wet around rear of unit as well and i have seen little drops coming from rear of housing, not enough to cause the amount of diesel leaking though. knowing my luck it is the side cover and a total removal job. thanks again for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by 91ssr View Post
            g'day folks. i am new to this, but, just bought a 91 ssr limited 2.4lt turbo diesel. it overheated in january apparently and had all new top end put now the diesel pump is literally teeming diesel out when motor is running and for a few minutes after shutdown. i have tried to see where leak is coming from but can only see where it is running down block and over sump. when on h/way it is throwing diesel all under vehicle and up onto rear of car. also the engine check light on dash comes on when you turn on ignition then goes out and comes back on again and stays on while engine is running.
            can anyone tell me
            1- is the check light because of the leak
            2- how to ascertain where leak is coming from and if i need to remove complete pump to renew seals.
            thanks to anyone who can help.
            regards
            bryan
            Thanks to all repliers.
            I have since reomved top seal and all seems good. it is now apparent that the leak is coming from the rear of the pump where the four injector pipes come out of. has any one got a breakdown of these panels as there is two of them one in front of the other. also has anyone had this type of leak before? thanks

Comment

Working...
            X