Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• holding gear too long

hi guys back again

got what im hoping is a small problem i have just had a major service done by stevo in stockport done the works and running like a dream up until tonight seems to hold what i think is 3rd gear too long changes at around 3500 rpm sure it used to be lower as it seems to revving its n***s off as part of the service i have had timing belt and autobox fluid changed along with oil + filter fuel filter etc

like i said running brill until now any ideas guys

cheers

2.4 ssr-g

ECT button pressed in? Is the O/D off light on the dash illuminated?

Comment

ect button off and overdrive off tried these

Comment

The only other things I can suggest is to check the transmission fluid level, (Engine running, cycle through all the gears, pausing in each position for about three seconds then back to 'P') leave engine running when checking level.
        Or, the kickdown cable is too tight. (adjust at the throttle body)

Comment

thanks mate will check in the morning any other ideas if thats fine

do i check in each gear or just park

cheers jon

Comment

Originally posted by BAV1 View Post
            thanks mate will check in the morning any other ideas if thats fine

do i check in each gear or just park

cheers jon
            Handbrake on, foot on footbrake, start engine and shift lever from 'P' all the way to 'L' and back up to 'P', pausing in each position for three secs.
            Leave in 'P' with engine idling, pull out trans dipstick, give it a wipe then re-insert. Pull out again and check level, it should be within the cold level if engine is cold, in the hot section if engine hot (Obviously)
            If low, switch off engine and add about half a litre at a time , repeating the above procedure to re-check level until correct.

Comment

hi mate levels seems fine

you mentioned kicj down cable on throttle body is it possible for this to suddenly go tight as it was running fine

the other thing i have noticed today is with the engine running but stationary the turbo light flickers as does the blue led on the 12v cigarette lighter adaptor

bad earth?

could this cause these symptoms

thanks again

Comment

anyone please help

Comment

I know this is a bit late and hope you got yours sorted but I had a very similar problem to yours and spent far too long sorting it out so I thought I'd post this anyway in case it helps someone.

Mine was doing the same though intermittently. Some days great and others changing gear as high as 3800 rpm.

It turns out the problem came from the ecu's grounding cable. I had checked and cleaned all the earths when I bought the car including that one but after looking around on here at a few photos of the egr mod (this is the area where the cable is attached) I noticed that this cable (its comprised of two brown wires) wasn't bolted to the right place.

Another symptom was that the ecu diagnostic was returning code 11, which I think means that the ecu has sensed that it has had a power supply problem. I suppose this would be consistent with a bad ground.

I moved the thing back to where it was supposed to be and now the car's better than it has ever been. No more over revving, way more power and as a result I get about 3-4 mpg better economy. The ecu diagnostic is now normal too.

So my conclusion is that although the ecu appeared grounded, it really needed a much better ground in order to function properly. So even if yours is in the right place check it's not oxidised or covered in crap.

Comment

Originally posted by radioactivebob View Post
                    I know this is a bit late and hope you got yours sorted but I had a very similar problem to yours and spent far too long sorting it out so I thought I'd post this anyway in case it helps someone.

Mine was doing the same though intermittently. Some days great and others changing gear as high as 3800 rpm.

It turns out the problem came from the ecu's grounding cable. I had checked and cleaned all the earths when I bought the car including that one but after looking around on here at a few photos of the egr mod (this is the area where the cable is attached) I noticed that this cable (its comprised of two brown wires) wasn't bolted to the right place.

Another symptom was that the ecu diagnostic was returning code 11, which I think means that the ecu has sensed that it has had a power supply problem. I suppose this would be consistent with a bad ground.

I moved the thing back to where it was supposed to be and now the car's better than it has ever been. No more over revving, way more power and as a result I get about 3-4 mpg better economy. The ecu diagnostic is now normal too.

So my conclusion is that although the ecu appeared grounded, it really needed a much better ground in order to function properly. So even if yours is in the right place check it's not oxidised or covered in crap.

anybody know where this is as got same issue again on different truck and never got it resolved on the last one

Comment

help still needed please

ok guys so still having problems have rechecked all connections and earths but still doing it i really need to get this resolved as soon as possible

any further thoughts would be much appreciated

could it be related to the brake system in any way just a hunch

thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X