yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TURBO PROBLEMS... I am starting to wish I never bought this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TURBO PROBLEMS... I am starting to wish I never bought this.

Hello,
    Posted on here before with this problem...
    "Hello,
    I've posted on here from time to time. This time I'm completely done. I have a 2.4L Hilux and it got hot a few times (4 to be exact) then one day I went for lunch and white smoke everywhere. I got it towed to a mechanic and ordered a 3L head kit from here... (www.rockymountainimports.net) the mechanic said he fixed the problem and gave me the keys back after dropping $4500 CAD dollars. I now have more serious problems. The vehicle rides ROUGH, barely idles, minor knocking in the engine, white smoke off of startup, poor fuel consumption, lack of power (70km/h up a hill top speed - before it could easily do 100km/h on the same hill) The mechanic is re-checking the timing to make sure that things are inline but then is out of ideas. I also did a fuel injector clean after I got the car back.
    Nothing seemed to work.

I'm into this truck now for $6,000.00 CAD and honestly cannot really afford anymore. I would like to get this fixed but if its too much I now have a giant heap of metal in my parking spot.

I hope someone could shed some light on this."

I never really figured out what was wrong drove it about 3 times and the 4th (being today) I was going up a hill and the hilux was barely going 30-40kms. Normally can go easily 50kms up it. I looked and the red engine light was on and drove to the top of the hill and noticed that the green turbo light wasn't coming on. Normally it kicks in about 2000rpms but nothing. Now I'm wondering if maybe the problems I was noticing before have something to do with the turbo. The mechanic that worked on it after he charged me the 6000 told me that he's not too sure what the problem is because he's not a diesel mechanic. I was a little ####ed. Anyways if anyone can suggest some free fixes I can try I'd be more then happy!!!!!

Thanks for all the help on here guys, this would be twice the nightmare without all the great advice.

mike

If the turbo is not providing boost, check the two items in this photo

Yellow circle is the turbo boost pressure sensor.
    Green circle is a boost pressure pipe, which can get oil on it, swell and just drop off or easily get knocked off. Maybe one of these items was not connected securely after the head swap.

Comment

Sorry your haveing these problems, are you sure all the vac pipes are connected up right, if i can find the pipe layout file i'll try and post it for you,
      other than that i'm sure someone will be along with help
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Your faster than a fast thing Vince

Comment

Not sure about the vac pipes. If you can find the layout that would help!
          Thanks,
          mike

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
            Your faster than a fast thing Vince
            I've got a petrol V8.

Comment

Drawings woulnt load, but do a search on the austrailian link below and you'll finde em there,Turbo - Vacuum Lines Troubleshooting Article: Dan Birch Photos: Dan Birch The following two images are only as a guide to help with identifying where vacuum hoses 'supposidly' go. both the vehicles shown are having no troulbes with the way in which all hoses are connected and everything seems to be working. 2LTE (electronic injection)
              Common Fault with the 2.4LT Surf engines is the turbo pressure sensor causes the red engine 'check' light to come on if there is a faulty vacuum hose. Sometimes the Engine just looses power, as there is a leak in the system, and no boost is being made. One big area the vacuum hoses seem to come loose is around the intake manifold near the throttle. There is
              small connection below the throttle body housing that tends to get oil (normal from engine blow-by) this causes the vacuum hose to slip off easily. I have actually cable tied mine onto the nipple. The Red dotted line is the hose that usually comes loose, it comes loos where it attaches to the intake manifold. There is
              small nipple where it attaches which goes into the intake manifold. The best cure for this is to replace the hose with a new piece as the old pieces tend to be worn and old. 2LT (direct injection)
              01/10/2005 http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/turbovacuum.htm

Comment

Originally posted by canadianHILUX View Post

The vehicle rides ROUGH, barely idles, minor knocking in the engine, white smoke off of startup, poor fuel consumption, lack of power (70km/h up a hill top speed - before it could easily do 100km/h on the same hill) The mechanic is re-checking the timing to make sure that things are inline but then is out of ideas.

mike
                It could well be a timing problem, a metallic clatter and loss of power, with the engine check light could well be timing too advanced.
                Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

We've been here before:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=46670

Comment

Do some people post on here just to test other people's usually first hand knowledge, then Ignore it and carry on posting with the same problem.
                    IT's not how you get in it . IT's how you get out.

Comment

Originally posted by new surf View Post
                      Do some people post on here just to test other people's usually first hand knowledge, then Ignore it and carry on posting with the same problem.
                      Most.....

There used to be this guy (Razorhoof??) who would post the same question in every section every day and totally ignore anyone's advice.

Comment

Makes you wonder why you take the time to reply.
                        IT's not how you get in it . IT's how you get out.

Comment

Originally posted by new surf View Post
                          Makes you wonder why you take the time to reply.
                          No-one listens to me anyway. I think it's a petrol thing.

Comment

is the turbo actually working. stuck wastegate, ceased turbine, faulty actuator

Comment

I did'nt know it had been posted before, missed it, forgot it or i would'nt have buggered about getting that link on, it does erk a bit tho when they dont even come back with a quick thanks or sorted, or kiss my arse

Comment

Working...
                              X