yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another clyinder head question - sorry!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another clyinder head question - sorry!!!

Hi folks,

I’m new to the Surf, great vehicle! I have a 92-2.4 diesel. I am a little worried about having a cylinder head drama.I should have researched a little more before I made a purchase, never mind job done now.

I have covered around 2000 miles with no problems since buying the Surf but now I drive watching the temperature gauge!!! Sadly I do not know the history of the vehicle, it might already have a new head?

Is there anything I can do to maybe protect the head I have? I know I should just enjoy, and I do but it is getting into me head a wee bit… http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/im...es/anxious.gif

Thanks for any advice in advance 

1stly forget relying on the temp guage also dont presume you get the same symptons as you would normally get with a car. Replacement of Radiator Cap & Thermostat may help.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

2.4's should be flushed out every 2 years, with the thermostat removed and the heaters set to hot, they should also be reversed flushed till the water coming out is clear, then put everything back and burp it. dont forget the antifreeze as this has a corrosion inhibitor to stop the rust forming and blocking the small water passages in the head's which then localises the heat in that spot and cracks the head.
      Happy 2.4ing.
      IT's not how you get in it . IT's how you get out.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys!!!

I'll get it done ASAP...

Comment

Interesting post!

I got my '92 2.4 about 1500kms ago and have been thinking about this myself since reading the horrer stories on these forums.I then had a bit of drama over the weekend.
          I had a small coolant leak until I fixed a split pipe running into (what I think is) the thermostat. I then added some of that stuff which is meant to flush out all the nastyness from your system, ran the car for a while and drained the radiator. The system still looked fairly dirty so I ran some water through it again and flushed that out (still came out fairly brown), filled it up with coolant and went on my way.

Then today after coming up the hill to my house I saw that the radiator was boiling and escaping through a small crack in the top of the radiator. Would anyone like to point out the really simple cheap problem I have that definately isn't anything to do with my cylinder head?

I didn't know to turn the heaters to hot while draining the coolant but other than this I can't see where I could have gone wrong. I haven't had any overheating problems at all and i've driven the car much harder than I drove it today since I got it.

Also it starts a bit rough in the mornings but runs fine after a few revs and starts fine for the rest of the day, the mechanic who works in the same place as me reckons that this is probably something to do with the heater coils but is it connected?

Sorry if i'm hijacking this thread but I didn't want to start another overheating one and I thought it might be quite connected to this one.

Thanks,
          S.h.2001

Comment

rad cracks can be silver soldered if small ....or get a new rad .......

i overheated my 2nd gen surf twice due to blocked rads(mud) and i was most suprised to find the head was fine when i stripped it down reciently

NOTE TO NEWBIES

flush the system do the rad cap and theremostat and then enjoy
            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post

i overheated my 2nd gen surf twice due to blocked rads(mud) and i was most suprised to find the head was fine when i stripped it down reciently

NOTE TO NEWBIES

Additional note to newbies, if it goes offroad clean the crud out of your rad fins, a brick does not perform as the best coolant cooler !!!
              Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

The crack is less than an inch long and very thin.

By "do" the rad cap and thermostat do you mean replace or clean or what?

Good info though!

Comment

Originally posted by Stoned Hippy View Post
                  By "do" the rad cap and thermostat do you mean replace or clean or what?

Good info though!
                  Replace it, take NO chances with the cooling system, it's just not worth cutting corners.

Trev

Comment

Note to Stoned Hippy, you should also burp the cooling system with the heaters set to Hot otherwise you will not remove the air locks in them, this is somtimes heard as a rushing water sound under high rpm in the near side footwell, If you do hear it then re burp it or the trapped air will expand when hot and over pressurise the system, leading to the rad cap opening under pressure and blowing off into the expansion bottle, or if there is a weak point in the system ie a leak in the rad, it will blow off from this first if the rad cap is in good condition.
                    Another indication of air in the heaters is they wont get hot.
                    IT's not how you get in it . IT's how you get out.

Comment

Hi
                      Have a look here http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8626

here
                      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...shing+radiator

and here for a how to with pretty pictures
                      http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/coolant.htm

Hope this helps

Comment

Has anyone with the 2.4 not had a cracked cylinder head?

I just received my rear chrome quarter bumpers from Roughtrax - I gave up looking for decent second hand ones. Expensive but worth the price I reckon due the rest of the Surf being rust free.

Radiator cap, thermostat, new tyres and a full length roof rack (if I can find one - any ideas?) and with a bit of luck TROUBLE FREE motoring for a bit.

Every time I use my 74 series 3 land rover something goes wrong! Normally a very easy fix but sometimes it's nice to do other things other than repair cars etc. I could not sell the Land Rover due to spending much much more than it is worth and I do think they are great fun also...

Comment

Originally posted by Mrbill View Post
                          Yes me

Comment

Originally posted by Mrbill View Post
                            Yes me
                            You just cracked up the rest of the truck

and a few others as well

Comment

here we go draging up xmas 06 yet again .........it wasn't myfault that the attendees were loons in the mud

Comment

Working...
                              X