Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Everyone

Hello everybody,

I'm new here and in the process of purchasing my first Toyota Hilux and would welcome some advice.

I'm about to do some travelling around europe mainly Spain where I have friends to stay with. My work colleague has been recommending that I drive there instead for a long time now but I've always been sceptical about the idea of driving all that way and I've been quite happy to book flights out to the places I wanted to go and visit. However, I've decided that this year I'll give it a go and try driving through to Spain. My colleague says I will find it less stressful??? He's been driving to Spain for the past five years and loves it! I'm not so sure though ?

Anyway, I wont be doing the trip in my current car (although reliable) I dont think its robust enough for such a long journey and so I have been looking at various cars that would be suitable. A cousin of mine used to own a Toyota Hilux 2.4 and highly recommended them to me. I've been doing a lot of investigating and they seem to get very good reviews from owners. Especially reliability which will be key for me. Air conditioning too which is a must.

My problem is that I have the opportunty to purchase one of two Toyota Hilux Surf's now and I cannot make up my mind - due to lack of knowledge and experience. One is a 2.4 diesel and another 3.0. Both have been very well cared, both roughly the same price. The 2.4 (1992) has done 80K miles and the 3.0 (1994) has done 110Kmiles. I think the 2.4 is a higher spec - I'll check tomorrow. But its a very difficult decision to make?? Also the age of the cars bug me a little? I think they are too old? Maybe I'm wrong? I know very little about them unfortunately.

I'll give you further details if you like. But for now any advice would be welcome. Maybe you think this kind of vehicle would be totally unsuitable. Thats ok. I figure this would be the best place to get some honest answers. If I do go ahead and buy one and my initial trip is a success and all goes well then I'll be keeping the Hilux for a very long time to come. But I need to be sure that this is the vehicle for the job?

Well, that'll do for now I think! Shan't bore you all any longer! :-)

Nice meeting you all and I look forward to joining in the fun!

Adios!

Hi and welcome to the home of insane surfers.
    If you got the chance for a decent 3.0l then go for it as you'll have that extra power with the same mpg roughly as the 2.4.
    When you get either truck then just make sure it's given a full service even cam belt to be on the safe side.Good luck with the purchase

Originally posted by BigWednesday View Post
    Hello everybody,

I'm new here and in the process of purchasing my first Toyota Hilux and would welcome some advice.

I'm about to do some travelling around europe mainly Spain where I have friends to stay with. My work colleague has been recommending that I drive there instead for a long time now but I've always been sceptical about the idea of driving all that way and I've been quite happy to book flights out to the places I wanted to go and visit. However, I've decided that this year I'll give it a go and try driving through to Spain. My colleague says I will find it less stressful??? He's been driving to Spain for the past five years and loves it! I'm not so sure though ?

Anyway, I wont be doing the trip in my current car (although reliable) I dont think its robust enough for such a long journey and so I have been looking at various cars that would be suitable. A cousin of mine used to own a Toyota Hilux 2.4 and highly recommended them to me. I've been doing a lot of investigating and they seem to get very good reviews from owners. Especially reliability which will be key for me. Air conditioning too which is a must.

My problem is that I have the opportunty to purchase one of two Toyota Hilux Surf's now and I cannot make up my mind - due to lack of knowledge and experience. One is a 2.4 diesel and another 3.0. Both have been very well cared, both roughly the same price. The 2.4 (1992) has done 80K miles and the 3.0 (1994) has done 110Kmiles. I think the 2.4 is a higher spec - I'll check tomorrow. But its a very difficult decision to make?? Also the age of the cars bug me a little? I think they are too old? Maybe I'm wrong? I know very little about them unfortunately.

I'll give you further details if you like. But for now any advice would be welcome. Maybe you think this kind of vehicle would be totally unsuitable. Thats ok. I figure this would be the best place to get some honest answers. If I do go ahead and buy one and my initial trip is a success and all goes well then I'll be keeping the Hilux for a very long time to come. But I need to be sure that this is the vehicle for the job?

Well, that'll do for now I think! Shan't bore you all any longer! :-)

Nice meeting you all and I look forward to joining in the fun!

Adios!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

The guy who owns the higher spec 2.4 with lower mileage has dropped his price considerably. I know that he is desperate for a quick sale. However, the cambelt hasn't been done on his vehicle.

How much would a cambelt cost to do on one of these?

Also, just seen one Hilux surf that is a rarer manual as opposed to the more common automatic. Your thoughts?

Should I stick with automatics? Stay clear of manuals? My dad says manuals are cheaper to repair than automatics? I dunno? Must be a reason why they were all mainly automatics maybe???

Look forward to any replies.

Many thanks!

Comment

What price is the 2.4 going for at the moment.For a absolute mint 2.4 your looking at about 1700 max but they are selling anywhere from 800 to 1500 depending on condition.You need to be aware of the heads on the 2.4's although some 3.0l's have had the heads go aswell but if its well maintained then you should be ok.Me personally i haven't seen many maual surfs being broken for spares but theres plenty of auto's about being broken for spares so you can get parts cheap.If it was still me then i would go for the 3.0l but depending on the price of it

Comment

Hi again,

I make you right about the manuals. Might give that one a miss then.

The 2.4 has hardly been in use (to the shops and back basically) he originally wanted £2250 but I know he is strapped for cash at the moment due to lack of work and mortgage payments - now says he would take £1500. It has 6months tax and one years MOT.

The 3.0 turbo - they want £2000 this has new tyes and a new exhaust, cambelt has been done on it too. Regularly serviced. Tax runs out in a month ans MOT in 3 months.

Cheers matey!

Comment

The 3.0l is a better engine to work on as theres more room under the bonnet.£1500 is still top end tho for a 2.4.For the extra £500 if you can afford it i would still go for the 3.0l tho.
            Give it a good checking over and see if you can see any damaged ball joints ,cv gaitors etc that will fail a MOT.Make sure the engine is cold when you go to start it up to see how well it runs on tickover while cold.

Comment

Just a thought but isn't the 2.4L cambelt a whole lot more of a job to do than the 3L? I think I've seen it mentioned before that a whole lot more of the engioner ancilliaries need to come off to get at the 2.4L cambelt, whereas it's not too much more than the cover on the 3.L.
              Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman View Post
                Just a thought but isn't the 2.4L cambelt a whole lot more of a job to do than the 3L? I think I've seen it mentioned before that a whole lot more of the engioner ancilliaries need to come off to get at the 2.4L cambelt, whereas it's not too much more than the cover on the 3.L.
                yea thats right.peace of cake on the 3.0l and even i have managed to do it

Comment

Hi again,

I make you right about the manuals. Might give that one a miss then.

The 2.4 has hardly been in use (to the shops and back basically) he originally wanted £2250 but I know he is strapped for cash at the moment due to lack of work and mortgage payments - now says he would take £1500. It has 6months tax and one years MOT.

The 3.0 turbo - they want £2000 this has new tyes and a new exhaust, cambelt has been done on it too. Regularly serviced. Tax runs out in a month ans MOT in 3 months.

Cheers matey!

Comment

^^ I'm losing the plot here. Posting things twice and I dont know I'm doing it!! lol

Cheers all - the 3.0L does look like the better option I must admit.

Thanks for everything. This really has helped me a lot.
                    I'll keep you informed as events unfold.

You've persuaded me and I think it will be the 3.0L now that I will go for as opposed to the 2.4.

Superb!

Comment

Good on ya Francis.To christen the truck and to meet a load of other surfers then join us at the rtts in september for a good weekend of offroading and laning and camping

Comment

Originally posted by BigWednesday View Post
                        ^^ I'm losing the plot here. Posting things twice and I dont know I'm doing it!! lol

Cheers all - the 3.0L does look like the better option I must admit.

Thanks for everything. This really has helped me a lot.
                        I'll keep you informed as events unfold.

You've persuaded me and I think it will be the 3.0L now that I will go for as opposed to the 2.4.

Superb!
                        Whereabouts in Essex are you mate? If you want someone to come with you before you buy, I may be able to do that. I'm not as knowledgable as a lot of the guys on here, but generally know what to look for, and may be able to persaude you to get the 2.4 after all

Let me know if I can help.

Cheers,

Bu5h.
                        If you play with fire.....

Comment

Working...
                        X