Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Brake Rotors

hi
    approx how long should from rotors last ?

I have just had my surf in for a service and been told they are 18.7 mm thick, min allowed is 18 and they will need changing at the next service 5000km. I think this is a bit of bull from the service mechanic but would like to know approx how long I would have left on them. Normal driving, very little offroad. The car is a '90 2.4 diesel with 165000km on it.

Thanks

I don't know exactly on the surf but from experience I would say that discs (Rotors) on older vehicles that used pads with asbestos in wear out at about 80 - 100k Miles as the discs could be pretty hard as the pads weren't.

To put it in perspective I have a y2k beemer and I had to have new discs on the front after 30000 miles! The discs are alot softer to give good performance with the harder brake pads that don't have asbestos in.

I hope this helps.

Rich.
    If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Thanks for the info on brake rotor wear, it iappears to be greater than I expected.

As for the flux convertor, thingy what do you call it.

Keep it simple for a simpleton, thought you was talking about a star trek engine problem that Scotty was having problems with.

Chris

Comment

min thickness according to my book is 18.01mm, originally was 20mm. So i make that only just over 1/2 worn out. As long as they arn't warped or deeply scoured I leave them alone.

They usually have the min thinkness cast into the inside face of the disc, but I dunno if you can read it without removing them.

If they are original, you got another 165,000kms to go

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Mine made it to about 95k, but by then they were on the min and had serious runout.

Comment

Working...
          X