Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats that 'orrible noise?

Hi everyone,

Just a bit of advice please on something i hope isn't too serious, Last weekend i was flushing the coolant system, all seemed to go ok, unfortunately in the process i managaed to damage a perished fan switch, sine then, the cooling fan has been on constantly from turn over, i'm assured that this is not a problem and will be ordering a replacement fan switch shortly, however, since doing this, when the engine is turned on and under light accelaration it sounds like one of the belts is slipping, it's making a horrible screeching noise and i am having to really boot it to get it to stop which i am sure is not good,it is only doing it from cold and does not do it once the engine has been running for a few minutes.

I've previously had problems with the steering belt (it made a similar noise buit was only affected when attempting to turn) but have been assured this (and the pump) has been replaced by the previous owner (i bough the car, sold it, and then bought it back) would this have anything to do with it?

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

Ta.

Iain
    yours will go fast, Mine will go anywhere!

It's probably one of, or both of the alternator belts slipping.

You can buy anti-slip, belt spray as a temp fix, spray it on the belt and it makes them sticky.
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 17 June 2008, 09:08.

Comment

Ah, i had hoped it would be something like that, i will get some spray and give it a blast.

Thanks for your reply,

Iain

Comment

Could also be the belts slipping on the aircon pump if you have one of those fitted.
        Mike G

Comment

Before you spray anything on the belts, check they are correctly tensioned. A loose belt covered in belt dressing is likely to slip, just quietly. A belt that slips will overheat and snap which could cause all sorts of other damage. (You wouldn't beleive the places bits of broken fan belt manage to get knotted up)

Comment

Thanks for the advice, i got some belt dressing spray, still have a light squeel but nothing like it was before, now i have another problem, been to Cornwall for a weeks hols, on the way down the bleeding thing overheated, had to limp it to Cornwall from Just North of Brum at approx 50mph just to keep the temp down, not fun, had a rad repair whilst i was there, assumed all would be ok, but on way home, it went again, (£160 down the drain)...... i love my truck when it works, but its so irritatting when its broke! keep your eyes open for further posts on this very subject.... To be continued!

Iain

Comment

I have a rad fan switch spare if you want it, cheaper than £52 from R/trax.
              IT's not how you get in it . IT's how you get out.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for that, are they really that expensive?? i have checked with a few local spares dealers and they have quoted between £10-15 for a replacement Nippon part, is it likely that this won't be the right part? in addition to this i have now been told that the thermostatic transmitter is faulty and therefore the temp reading in the cab is not a true reflection of the engine temp so i need to replace that too! How much were you looking for for your part?

Comment

I have the temp sender aswell, but it is the spade type, check if it's the one for yours. If you want them both £25 posted, or just the fan switch £15 posted. E-mail me if your interested.
                  IT's not how you get in it . IT's how you get out.

Comment

make sure you dont have an air lock in the cooling system, the noise may be the water pump purging air through. I may be talking total B0ll0cks so if i am please ignore me
                    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Knobhead

Comment

Working...
                      X