Electric windows and central locking- 2nd Gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric windows and central locking- 2nd Gen

I've recently bought a 2nd Gen '93 Surf 2.4TD (145k km on the clock) and have come across a few issues which have been bugging me.

The electric windows seem to be working sporadically. I initially noticed that the switch for the rear window (to the boot) stopped working, but started working after turning the engine off and on again. A few days later, the same started happening with the passenger windows. A few days after that, I needed to turn the engine off for a good few minutes before the windows started working again. Now, they seem to be working really sporadically. For example, yesterday, they worked in Nottingham city centre, but stopped working on the way down to Cambridge. I stopped in several lay-bys and waited for 5-10 minutes each time before turning the engine back on, but with no luck. They started working again a few hours later. Driving down the A1 at 60mph with the windows open was not fun...

I spent today trying to figure out what the problem was, but was in rural Buckinghamshire with limited internet access and had left my Haynes manual (I know, I know...:p: ) at home... We couldn't locate the relevant fuse box (but I've now found out that it might be behind the driver's speaker...) despite looking under the hood, behind the glove box, under the drivers seat and even in the boot (!?). We then decided to look at the inner workings of the switch console on the driver's door.

After opening it up, we noticed that there was evidence of burning and over heating in the relays and copper leads and connectors under the driver's auto switch and a few of the other connectors, so we spent a few minutes cleaning it up with some mild sand paper. That didn't solve the problem.

The windows suddenly started working again, and stopped after a few seconds.

Then, on the way back to Cambs, the windows worked fine all the way and work fine now.

This is really a big issue for us as we're taking the truck out on a fairly long road trip this summer and the air con isn't working (needs regassing.) It's not really safe to park the car with the windows down either...

The central locking seems to suffer from he same problem (but works fine when we use the remote central locking). We checked the wiring under the driver's seat and that seemed relatively fine.

What should I look for next? I'm going to have a look behind the driver's speaker tomorrow evening, but what am I looking for? I don't think it's a blown fuse or broken connection as the windows and central locking DO work (albeit occasionally....) If that comes up with nothing, what's the next thing I need to check?

Any help will be more than appreciated! I have little experience with cars or electrics in general...

I would have thought you have a loose connection. It won't be a fuse anyway.

Someone who knows where to look for the loose connection will come along soon.

Comment

Having searched the forum, I have now come to the conclusion that it's the wires in the door hinge. The central locking only works when the door is in certain positions. I'll check it out tomorrow!

Comment

I had a very similar same problem a while back replaced the door wire loom and all was well! i might even have a spare loom in the garage if your interested. it does not have the switch panel tho!

Comment

new member here,completely incompetent im afraid.got similar problem,only the drivers window non operational (wont go up or down).have been told about the flexing problem and went to investigate.took all the screws and poppers off,but cant get the door panel off.am i just being more than usually dense,or does anyone know something i dont?

Comment

wiring in srivers door is common problem, as is wiring in bottom left of rear door.

lots of threads on here if you do a search.

Comment

cheers Nez.as mentioned,only registered today and not explored the site.found the relevant thread and am now off to play.

Comment

No Prob, It Can Be A Minefield.
                Let Us All Know How You Get On.

Comment

no joy as yet guys and gals,its the door catch thats defeating me at present.the battle goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by firebrand View Post
                    no joy as yet guys and gals,its the door catch thats defeating me at present.the battle goes on.
                    DOOR CATCH?

IT IS HARD TO ACCESS FRON DOOR WIRING, MAY FIND IT EASYIER TO REMOVE DOOR TRIM AND TRIMS IN FOOTWELL, GAVE ME A BETTER VIEW OF WHAT GOES WHERE AND YOU CAN ALSO FREE UP SOME SLACK IN SOME OF THE WIRES TOO.

Comment

Originally posted by firebrand View Post
                      Take the screw out, then side the plastic surround forward, it should then come loose.On the back of that, there is a clip holding a rod in place, turn the clip and the handle should come off.
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

door panel problem solved!seems i was lacking in application of that most useful of tools......brute force and ignorance!your suggestion of removing footwell panel most useful,but went a stage further and took off lower dash panel as well.....but then it started to rain,so had to put it all back together in a hurry.now i know my way in,its gonna be a wait for a dry few hours to do the job.cheers all.

Comment

Working...
                        X