Burnt out clutch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnt out clutch.

Hi guys, i expect if i searched long enough i'd find the answers, but am in a bit of a rush, any comments appreciated thanks! Been to the pit today and about 2 miles down the road going home the clutch has gone. I had the clutch replaced last July after some relatively tame off roading. And today only did 3 short circuits, not really pushing it to the limit. Now the big question, is it me doing this driving badly coz i wouldn't have expected it to have gone again this soon, or should i question the garage as to whether it's a dodgy clutch, don't really fancy having to shell out another £250-300. It's a 92 2.4 manual... and yes i still love it! I'm not very technically minded so an idiots guide would be great,

Thanks, Nick.

Originally posted by SurfnTurf
    Hi guys, i expect if i searched long enough i'd find the answers, but am in a bit of a rush, any comments appreciated thanks! Been to the pit today and about 2 miles down the road going home the clutch has gone. I had the clutch replaced last July after some relatively tame off roading. And today only did 3 short circuits, not really pushing it to the limit. Now the big question, is it me doing this driving badly coz i wouldn't have expected it to have gone again this soon, or should i question the garage as to whether it's a dodgy clutch, don't really fancy having to shell out another £250-300. It's a 92 2.4 manual... and yes i still love it! I'm not very technically minded so an idiots guide would be great,

Thanks, Nick.
    Nick.

Unless you have done huge miles since you last replaced it I would question the garage. When you say that the clutch has gone, how do you know this, if it is slipping, may be the release bearing, oil contamination etc etc etc. ON ly way to really find out is to have the clutch removed. You may find that they didn't replace the release bearing when doing the clutch (some garages don't to save a couple of quid an 5 minutes of work. If this is now sticking then the clutch may not fully release and will cause the slipping.

Also if the rear crankshaft oil seal is weeping or the front gearbox oil seal then this could also cause problems.

A clutch should not go, especially on a Toyota Surf which is a pretty substantial unit as far as I am aware, not within a year anyway.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for that Andy. It was slipping as we left, and it gave up all together going up a small hill, then i couldnt get it into any of the gears. I know what your saying, the surf is a proper 4x4, i really didnt expect to have this problem with it after 1 not overely testing day out.

Cheers, Nick.

Comment

Make sure the cover plate is on the lower half of the bellhousing, it could have got left off, or been missing all along, if you get mud and stones between the clutch plates its bad news.

If you lucky it might burn off in time, or just need cleaning out.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony, fingers crossed!

Comment

Working...
          X