X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes I know, it was stupid but...

.... I left the radiator cap off my:

91 Hilux 2.4 Diesel LT.

Needless to say the car overheated (not for the first time). There's a lot of info on overheating on this site but could anybody solve the cause considering I:

Recently had new water pump
    Have removed the thermostat (everybody in Africa does that!)
    There's no milky liquid in the oil
    Car drives as normal
    Not really much smoke coming out the back

However, although the larger fan works, the smaller fan at the front of the car does not work. What's it for? Could it be a blown fuse?

I am guessing head gasket, or cracked cylinder. But hope not!

Many thanks, A

The smaller fan is electric and runs off a sensor just below the thermostat housing (towards the front). If you pull the sensor off with the engine running, the electric fan should start. If it does, you need a new sensor. If it doesn't, you have a fault with the fan.

You should put the thermostat back in. It helps to keep the engine cool by regulating the flow through the radiator.

And next time you take your radiator cap off, put it on the driver's seat

Comment

I believe the fan in the front only comes on when the engine reaches a certain temperature... Its a kind of last stand against overheating!

Cant really help on the rest mate im afraid but someone will let you know soon enough

Comment

Originally posted by amerryweather View Post
        .... I left the radiator cap off my:

91 Hilux 2.4 Diesel LT.

Needless to say the car overheated (not for the first time). There's a lot of info on overheating on this site but could anybody solve the cause considering I:

Recently had new water pump
        Have removed the thermostat (everybody in Africa does that!)
        There's no milky liquid in the oil
        Car drives as normal
        Not really much smoke coming out the back

However, although the larger fan works, the smaller fan at the front of the car does not work. What's it for? Could it be a blown fuse?

I am guessing head gasket, or cracked cylinder. But hope not!

Many thanks, A
        Well, the first thing to remember is to sit down and have another Mozi. When thats finished, have another! If you get stuck and they guys on this forum can't help you [which I doubt as they really know Surf's] then send me a PM and I'll give you the number of a guy in Lusaka who can help.
        If it ain't fun it ain't worth doing!

Comment

As Sancho mentioned, put the, (a new one), thermostat back in. I know it's common practice across your way to remove it, but you do totally lose coolant system regulation by doing so. There is a lower temp 'stat you can get for the 2.4, (I think it's an eighty two degree one, against the standard eighty eight), if you want to lower the operating temp.

Other than fully flushing the system and making sure everything is clear and flowing correctly, if it's still overheating, it is most likely the head. It is also worthwhile checking all the rubber coolant hoses however. Some of those can start perishing or become quite profusely blocked internally over time.

That aux fan only kicks in at 102 degrees. What is the pressure rating on your rad cap, btw?

Comment

Working...
          X