How to check frost plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to check frost plugs

Is it possible to see the frost plugs in the back of the engine without taking the gear box down? I'm going to check a '92 2.4L Surf tomorrow and apparently the frost plug was leaking when it was last driven 3 years ago but has stopped when it was started for the first time yesterday. My mechanic said that you need to take the gear box down to check and replace them if necessary but another source told me that if you can get under it (which I will be able to) you can check them without the hassle of taking down the gear box. If it is possible to check them where exactly are they?

I pressume you mean the core plug, if you get under and there is water coming from that area then it can't really be anything else.

It may well have stopped leaking overtime but that probably just means it's rusted up and sealed itself. Not good
    www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Ok, so basically if it was leaking before, even though it's not now, it's only a temporary seal and will need to be replaced regardless?

This will then mean the gear box will have to come down and i'm talking about a big labour bill?

Comment

If it has rusted frost/core plugs then I would avoid it like the plague. You can bet if one is rusted then the rest will be as well along with a lot of other stuff in the engine. The cooling system will be absolutely stuffed after sitting for that long.

Nev

Comment

Working...
        X