No announcement yet.

Long range or second fuel tank.. (veg?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long range or second fuel tank.. (veg?)

Hey all
    As some of u know I am breaking a special edition Honda Accord at the moment, now the car has a near new 65ltr fuel tank.

I was wondering if I cud fit that to the surf somehow to have like a long range fuel tank,
    Or I was thinking of putting a heater on it and maybe use it as a veg conversion..

Anyone done this?
    Or am I a bit daft in trying it this way and is it not really possible with this tank?

Thanks in advance..

TobyJug
    One day at the time I guess..

2nd fuel tank's a good idea, not sure if anyone's used one from an accord. If you need some pointers then try here http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/body.htm
    Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post
      2nd fuel tank's a good idea, not sure if anyone's used one from an accord. If you need some pointers then try here http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/body.htm

Nice one I will have a good read thanks mate

Comment

Then again our illustrious Andylala did this

Trev
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev View Post
          Then again our illustrious Andylala did this

Trev
          Hey Trev,

Just read that whole Thread....
          very very interesting..
          Looks like a really nice job...
          I am gonna take the tank of the Honda first and see if there are options to fit that without to much hassel, as I do not have that kinda money to spend.....

What are your thoughts on a second tank just for veg? with a pre-heating system?
          Or u think a second tank with the same fill up like Andylala has done would be better and make a mix like I do now??

Comment

Originally posted by TobyJug View Post
            Hey Trev,

Just read that whole Thread....
            very very interesting..
            Looks like a really nice job...
            I am gonna take the tank of the Honda first and see if there are options to fit that without to much hassel, as I do not have that kinda money to spend.....

What are your thoughts on a second tank just for veg? with a pre-heating system?
            Or u think a second tank with the same fill up like Andylala has done would be better and make a mix like I do now??
            Personally is it worth considering a second tank for veg now ?

Both Veg and dino are going up like mad and there's not much between them in cost.

the long range solution with mix is great until you turn up to refill, then you spend 1/2 hour chasing your wallet down the road !!!

Comment

illustrious
              Don't - I'll blush....

Only down side... when I had to top it right up the otehr day... £132.xx my dear god... did that hurt...

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala View Post
                Don't - I'll blush....
                There's a first time for everything

Comment

There's a first time for everything
                  happens a lot...
                  Get too involved, get excited... get caught out...

what were we talking about...?

Comment

happens a lot...
                    Get too involved, get excited... get caught out...

what were we talking about...?
                    That's because you keep getting chatted up by the girls in the petrol station, after they see you pay for filling the truck up they think you are loaded

Comment

That's because you keep getting chatted up by the girls in the petrol station, after they see you pay for filling the truck up they think you are loaded
                      That and only having wallet full of swiss francs... that always confuses me

Comment

Personally is it worth considering a second tank for veg now ?

Both Veg and dino are going up like mad and there's not much between them in cost.

the long range solution with mix is great until you turn up to refill, then you spend 1/2 hour chasing your wallet down the road !!!
                        That is true but I was thinking of getting a proper filter system set up so I can run on wvo....
                        Cus I cant run very well let alone to chase my wallet....

I am going on a safari next year so though the extra fuel capacity wud be a good idea....
                        Also got a watertank but not sure where it's gonna go just yet....

Don't - I'll blush....

Only down side... when I had to top it right up the otehr day... £132.xx my dear god... did that hurt...
                        auch... damn..

I see u are in the midlands...
                        any chance u are gonna go to Mudsurfers Tech weekend?

btw nice job on that extra tank regardless of the topup costs

Comment

Originally posted by TobyJug View Post
                          I am going on a safari next year so though the extra fuel capacity wud be a good idea....
                          Also got a watertank but not sure where it's gonna go just yet....
                          I see u are in the midlands...
                          any chance u are gonna go to Mudsurfers Tech weekend?

btw nice job on that extra tank regardless of the topup costs

I suppose if you plan to go travelling... you may want to consider the availability of your fuel of choice in that location.

Beauty of the earlier Surfs is that they will pretty much burn anything.

Water tanks, and any liquid need to go as low and central as possible.. Centre of Gravity and all that...

If you are carrying water, you may also want to consider filtering and pumping, ie. moving and cleaning water prior to topping your water tank up... (with clean water)

Unlikely to make the tech weekend, as with working away from home, weekends I tend to concentrate on the little people and the missus...

The fuel tank was one of those sweet jobs... designed to go where the tyre lift mech goes under the rear... it was very straight forward to do... (TonyN and me did it in under three hours - thanks Tony...)

Bonus for me, is that I can fish about to find the cheapest fuel... that and 15mins extra in bed every once in a while.

Comment

I suppose if you plan to go travelling... you may want to consider the availability of your fuel of choice in that location.

Beauty of the earlier Surfs is that they will pretty much burn anything.

Water tanks, and any liquid need to go as low and central as possible.. Centre of Gravity and all that...

If you are carrying water, you may also want to consider filtering and pumping, ie. moving and cleaning water prior to topping your water tank up... (with clean water)

Unlikely to make the tech weekend, as with working away from home, weekends I tend to concentrate on the little people and the missus...

The fuel tank was one of those sweet jobs... designed to go where the tyre lift mech goes under the rear... it was very straight forward to do... (TonyN and me did it in under three hours - thanks Tony...)

Bonus for me, is that I can fish about to find the cheapest fuel... that and 15mins extra in bed every once in a while.
                            Hello Mate,

Fair enough bout the weekend..

Yeah the tank u got looks like a sweet job I just don't hav the money to get anything like that made up unless I do it myself...
                            That is why I am concidering the Accord Tank I have got..
                            And if I can help it I want to keep the spare where it is...

As for the water yeah I am looking to have a 2 in 1 system with a pump to pump the water from one tank through a filter into the other one, also some sort of switch so I can use the same pump for the general tap...
                            and I was thinking of putting a couple kettle elements in the clean tank so the water is boiled after filtering as well so it is really clean....

How big a tank wud be sensible do u think?
                            with the weight we all ready have with 2 people and all the gear..
                            I was thinking of mounting it right up against the front seats over the whole length of the truck with a fill-up at the driver side and a tap at the passenger side...

I am saving on spare wheel weight as I am only taking 1 or maybe 2 other than that taking just tires and changing them at the road... (dessert) just to save weight...

So all that is gonna be on the roof is a pop-up roof tent, 4 tires and sand ladders..
                            Thinking of welding a roll-cage type construction from the back of the front seats to the back of the truck to hold the roofrack..
                            Not sure yet about inside or outside..

Any views on this?
                            just with at least two sleeping on the roof......

Comment

With the water... I would have thought that the pump can only touch either dirty or clean water, not both - you don't want to contaminate your clean water running back through the pump. So two tanks one for dirty water..., one for clean... which would mean two pumps. One to draw water into your storage tank. One to pull through the filter into the clean tank. This could then go straight for drinking (dependant on your filtering), or through a heat exchange to a shower head - perhaps quite wasteful with the water...

Dirty side.
                              Input hose, pump, storage tank.

Clean side.
                              Filtering mechanism, pump, clean water strorage tank.

Of course, you could also do...
                              Input hose, filtering mechanism, pump storage tank.

One pump, one tank...

Found a system for filtering the water the other day, very tidy with simple (small) cartridges. With the armoured garden hose connectors you could make a system where everything (clean side) is interchangeable...

Say your pump went duff... you could still gravity feed the filtering mechanism to top up your storage tank... and still get by...

Don't forget a hurricane kettle... plenty of hot water real quick...

Comment

Working...
                              X