Fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how fast are you going ??

at about 60 mph you should get at least 28 to the gallon,at 70 and above the fuel consumption takes an absolute battering,if this coincides with a dodgy guage.........
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Sorry to crash in here guys, but how do you manage to get 28 mpg ??? my best in a long time is 22mpg, no leaks at all, and engine and head in good condition, O/D in ECT off at all times, At today's fuel prices all suggestions will be tried and tested.
      If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Originally posted by GRASSMAN View Post
        Sorry to crash in here guys, but how do you manage to get 28 mpg ??? my best in a long time is 22mpg, no leaks at all, and engine and head in good condition, O/D in ECT off at all times, At today's fuel prices all suggestions will be tried and tested.
        When did you last run injector cleaner through it ?

When did you last give it a new fuel filter ?

How fast do you drive, and on what road conditions ?
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

2 bottles for last 4 fills 50 ltrs each,
          filters changed 12 months ago I only do 10,000 miles a year,
          try to keep to limits on locals, 60/65 on m/ways.
          forgot to mention do a bit of towing but it don't change the mpg at all.

Comment

2 bottles for last 4 fills 50 ltrs each,
            filters changed 12 months ago I only do 10,000 miles a year,
            try to keep to limits on locals, 60/65 on m/ways.
            forgot to mention do a bit of towing but it don't change the mpg at all.
            Is most of your driving on A roads, motorways or round town ?

Hippo would do 25 mpg trundling round the M25 & M25 daily at roughly 60 for 60 out of 80 miles

Comment

Mostly short runs on A roads, rest round town, (to and from work aprox 18mls per day.) any towing is 60ish on m/ways and A roads.
              (If I could work out how to attach pics I would but that's a diff story)

Comment

Mostly short runs on A roads, rest round town, (to and from work aprox 18mls per day.) any towing is 60ish on m/ways and A roads.
                (If I could work out how to attach pics I would but that's a diff story)
                That's why you cannot hit the mid 20s and higher, you are on short runs on A roads and around town, these beasts are far fuel friendlier on longer cruises.

Comment

Thanks for your help, talk soon I hope.(not so serious tho)

Comment

Thanks for your help, talk soon I hope.(not so serious tho)
                    Serious ?

Me ?

shhhhhhhh, they will send me back down in the dungeon

Comment

I havnt worked out my MPG but if i fill it to the brim i pretty much get to work there and back twice which is a total of 280miles...my 3.0l bmw gives me more miles on a full tank!

IM still confused with this fuel problem, i filled up again the other day right to the top, the needle was way over to the right on the fuel gauge, have run around in it and noticed as the fuel is used the performance of the truck slowly weakens, the needle is now showing just above half and going up a slight gradient it doesnt pull as well like its being starved of fuel again, i just filled it up and it took £30 quid to take it to the top again so im certain the gauge is ok. as i said earlier the fuel filter is new....i cant make any sense out of it .....

Comment

Originally posted by hiluxchav View Post
                        I havnt worked out my MPG but if i fill it to the brim i pretty much get to work there and back twice which is a total of 280miles...my 3.0l bmw gives me more miles on a full tank!

IM still confused with this fuel problem, i filled up again the other day right to the top, the needle was way over to the right on the fuel gauge, have run around in it and noticed as the fuel is used the performance of the truck slowly weakens, the needle is now showing just above half and going up a slight gradient it doesnt pull as well like its being starved of fuel again, i just filled it up and it took £30 quid to take it to the top again so im certain the gauge is ok. as i said earlier the fuel filter is new....i cant make any sense out of it .....
                        Do a search for 'breather', it could be that your tank breather is blocked, or the vent in the fuel cap is - try when it's feeling starved just eopening the cap, then replacing it and see if the power is restored any.

Comment

Fuel tank...

How much ltrs or gals does the tank hold? Does it hold the same as a 1988 surf? What I don't understand is...if the motor starves for fuel at 1/3 empty..it should die, and not crawl/lose power. Cheers, Ra.

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev View Post
                            Do a search for 'breather', it could be that your tank breather is blocked, or the vent in the fuel cap is - try when it's feeling starved just eopening the cap, then replacing it and see if the power is restored any.
                            Hey Trev....that's a xclnt point you made. simple and sweet. I bet that fixes his prob. Cheers, Ra.

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                              could be a blocked breather then and building up vacuum in the tank, by opening the cap to refuel you're releasing the vacuum pressure in the tank so it all goes well again.

Next time it happens just open the cap to release the pressure but don't refuel and see how it goes.
                              Originally posted by UDTrev View Post
                              Originally posted by Rawiri View Post
                              Hey Trev....that's a xclnt point you made. simple and sweet. I bet that fixes his prob. Cheers, Ra.
                              it's a cracking point, let's see if he listens to Trev though?
                              =========
                              =SOLD UP!=
                              =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                                it's a cracking point, let's see if he listens to Trev though?
                                Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                                Have you tried taking the fuel cap off but not refuelling when it stops working, as suggested above (regardless of hiss)?
                                I already had a go too

Comment

Working...
                                X