Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine warning light at higher revs

I'm new at this so be gentle please!

I have a 1991 auto LN130 with about 180,000km on the clock. In general it's fine but recently had a new exhaust and since then at higher revs (over 3000) the engine warning light comes on. It goes off again when the revs drop but I don't want the engine to explode when overtaking so any ideas please? Oil levels etc are fine and it was revving fine before.
    Last edited by Birdie Wife; 15 May 2008, 17:05.

Have you fitted a larger bore exhaust?

Comment

Nope. The exhaust wasn't a standard Toyota part (budget wouldn't stretch that far) but the garage fitted parts that were as close to the old one as possible.

Comment

If it is actually related in any way to the exhaust being replaced, the only reason that light would be coming on would be due to the turbo overboosting, or the ECU thinking it's overboosting, if I remember correctly. Can't see why a like for like replacement would cause that, however.

Comment

Wonder if they have disconnected some wiring or vacuum pipes to get at the manifold and reconnected it backwards. Is the turbo light working, maybe they have connected that to something they shouldn't. that would kick in at about 3000 rpm give or take.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
            If it is actually related in any way to the exhaust being replaced, the only reason that light would be coming on would be due to the turbo overboosting, or the ECU thinking it's overboosting, if I remember correctly. Can't see why a like for like replacement would cause that, however.
            They could have bent the wastegate actuator rod, so its not releasing pressure when it should. Its near the top exhaust join.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
              They could have bent the wastegate actuator rod, so its not releasing pressure when it should. Its near the top exhaust join.
              That sounds a good possibility then.

Comment

Hi Birdie

If you've only recently bought the surf you could find the fuel filter is clogged. I run filtered waste veg oil at 75% and after about 1000 miles the filter clogs, performance drops off and the check light comes on at high revs, 3000rpm+. Even if you aren't running veg oil the surf behaves badly with a clogged filter.

Good luck.

Paul

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, that's very helpful. I'll post an update once it's been looked over.

Comment

Working...
                  X