No announcement yet.

Auto Gear Box sometimes not selecting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Gear Box sometimes not selecting.

Hi all.

A couple of times recently, my beloved surf has had a couple of problems getting into gear from standing, or going slow. When pulling away into a busy roundabout today, with the auto box in drive, the car just rev'd highly as if in neutral and then suddenly kicked in to get me out of trouble.

This happened again when I was attempting to reverse out of my driveway which is on a hill. I put the gearbox into reverse, but the car kept rolling forwards.

Is this a clutch problem, or could it be worse. My surf has only got 60k on the clock so I would hope the gear box isn't shot.

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Andi

Sounds like the transmission fluid level is low.

Hi newbie by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Sounds like the transmission fluid level is low.

Hi newbie by the way.
      I agree with Vince.

On both points

Comment

i have this problem and oil levels are fine

Comment

Originally posted by toyboata View Post
          What colour is the fluid?
          Did you check the level with the engine running?

Comment

engine was of, and the gear box fluid is its normal picky ish colour

Comment

Originally posted by Explore South West View Post
              Hi all.

A couple of times recently, my beloved surf has had a couple of problems getting into gear from standing, or going slow. When pulling away into a busy roundabout today, with the auto box in drive, the car just rev'd highly as if in neutral and then suddenly kicked in to get me out of trouble.

This happened again when I was attempting to reverse out of my driveway which is on a hill. I put the gearbox into reverse, but the car kept rolling forwards.

Is this a clutch problem, or could it be worse. My surf has only got 60k on the clock so I would hope the gear box isn't shot.

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Andi

Hello and welcome, I know nowt about auto boxes coz mines a manual, but heres what I've picked up by talking b0ll0cks with this lot for a few years.

The auto boxes are about as reliable as a reliable thing having a very reliable day, you should get 250,000 miles out of it before you need to worry, so deffo check the fluid colour and level with the engine running, and change it if you have any doubt.

If your symptoms persist when that is done, then come back and have another chat.
              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Engine needs to be running so the fluid is being pumped throughout the transmission and torque converter. It should be a red wine colour, not brown or frothy.

Comment

will check in the morning. cheers

Comment

right. checked the oil with engine running and all is fine. any other ideas?

Comment

Its not the fluid level - there is something in the box that needs adjusting (mines been playing up as you describe).

Stein explained to me what I had to do but some beers had been sunk so .............

I'll pm him and post his reply !
                      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

It's not possible for the gearbox oil level to be the same with the engine off and the engine running.

Are you sure you're checking it right? And checking the right dip stick?

The oil should be up to temperature and the gears cycled slowly from Park to 1 then back to Park before checking.
                        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

yup done all that and all is is fine

Comment

Here's Marks reply about this problem..............

hi andy.yea what you may need to do is to adjust the brake bands,on the outside of the box you will find what looks like a stud with a big nut on it and either a slot for a screw driver or a hex for a spanner at the end.that protrudes from inside the box.undo the nut and turn the stud clockwise one full turn.tighten lock nut back up and do the same on the other side,(there are two.one each side of the box)and test drive.if no change,undo nut and turn another full turn clockwise.then test drive again,repeat this procedure until drive is restored.however do not tighten stud up anymore than one turn at a time.or else you will bind the whole box up.

I'll be trying this out this evening.
                            Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Andy - Let me know how you get on and if possible a pic or two as i think mine is suffering the same problem!! cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X