Preparations for overland trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparations for overland trip

I just took ownership of a 1992 2.4L Hilux Surf today! I've driven a few Hiluxes in my life but this is the first i've ever owned and i'm oh so proud of it!

I got it because i'm doing an overland trip leaving in under a month, driving from Ireland to Mongolia. Visiting places like the Pamir Highway enroute too hopefully

The hilux has been off the road for a year due to a frost plug needing replacing but otherwise it's mechanically sound. This is all coming from my mechanic (who's a good friend) who knew the old owner personally.

I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what else I should get done to the car before leaving other than a full service? Replacing the timing belt is an obvious one and i've told that the head gasket is a weak point on this generation of hilux (and it's also game over if you blow it in the field). The car doesn't have as much clearance as I hope either looking at it today so maybe a body lift to protect the sump and undersides?

We don't expect to be doing any mental offroading but thousands of miles or dirt tracks and bad tarmc are a certainty with a few river crossings thrown in for good measure.

Also, we're both students on a very limited budget so cost is a real issue for us. We got the car for free and will be donating it to charity at the end of the trip.

Any advice is appreciated!

S.h.

a body lift won't lift the engine, it lifts the body of the truck off the chassis. if you want extra clearance get a suspension lift.

Comment

Sorry for asking the same Q twice, got a little overexcited.

A suspension lift is quite expensive for what I was looking for I think!
      Any comments on the ground clearance as standard?

Also, I'm looking to buy a Haynes manual and it specifies that the maunal is for US spec cars. Mine is a Jap import, are there any (major) differences?

Comment

i think the Haynes manual only covers the petrol engine. as far as i can remember you will need a few manuals for all the info.

on a sus lift all you would need is 4xes900 pro comp shock £40 each and uprated springs not sure of price. as for being standard many on here have taken them off road and they handle really well

Comment

Hi n Welcome, ya wont need a Haynes or any other Manual ... it's all at ya fingertips right here the Best most informative Forum on the Net !!!!
          Try Milners of Road for 20% stronger Springs (they give a little lift) n wind up the Torsion bars to level it up !!!! Think there about £40 ish ...

There's always a Payback .... Ya just never ever see it Comin !!!!
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

It don't matter how tall you have the lift, the lowest points are the front and rear diffs, and they stay right where they are, unless you put tall tyres on it.

My standard surf goes just about everywhere the ones with the 5" lifts go, see the Wales video's .

If you are doing river crossings, then a snorkle may be a good option, and a good set of all terrain tyres.

Tyres are probably the most important modification you can make to your vehicle, it don't matter how high your suspension is, if your tyres are not up to the terrain.

Get yourself some recovery gear too, and learn how to use it safely, and take a back up vehicle with you, to help with the recovery situations.
            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

I'll get it in before anyone else does,

Dont put the spare on the roof! You'll tip over!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob View Post
                It don't matter how tall you have the lift, the lowest points are the front and rear diffs, and they stay right where they are, unless you put tall tyres on it.
                True, but approach an departure angles are improved.

Originally posted by plumb bob View Post
                Tyres are probably the most important modification you can make to your vehicle, it don't matter how high your suspension is, if your tyres are not up to the terrain.

Without doubt, i'd look at getting BFG without question!

You want to do a trip with thousands of miles, you need a tyre that can handle that, you need a tyre that wont go pop at the slightest hint of anything with a point on it!

BFG AT or MT without question mate!

Comment

You've got tons of clearance. No need for any lifting, you only need that for offroading or showing off. You have a sump guard already and I can't imagine you going over anything that'll get through it.

Main weakness on the 2.4 is the cooling system so have it pressure tested for leaks, check all the hoses and clips and replace anything that looks ropey.

In all honesty, you're only talking about a few thousand miles, so make sure it's all good before you start and you'll be fine.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone, this forum is so much more active and positive than I thought.

Dont put the spare on the roof! You'll tip over!
                    Do many people often put their spares on the roof??!!

Hi n Welcome, ya wont need a Haynes or any other Manual ... it's all at ya fingertips right here the Best most informative Forum on the Net !!!!
                    Unfortunately I don't expect to have internet access the whole way, although i'd say it's more than likely you'll see a few posts from me during the trip!

Tyres are probably the most important modification you can make to your vehicle,
                    I definately have some reading to do on AT tyres, the tyres on it at the moment are completely slick so we'll definately be getting new ones, and ATs at that. Thanks for the recommendation too.

Get yourself some recovery gear too, and learn how to use it safely, and take a back up vehicle with you, to help with the recovery situations.
                    A back up vehicle isn't going to happen unfortunately, we're going to be sticking to relatively frequently used routes. What do you mean by recovery equipment? Winch, tow rope, sand ladders etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                      You've got tons of clearance. No need for any lifting, you only need that for offroading or showing off. You have a sump guard already and I can't imagine you going over anything that'll get through it.
                      Yea, it just strikes me as the main way the terrain could get us so if I was going to prepare for anything... Encouraging to hear though.

In all honesty, you're only talking about a few thousand miles, so make sure it's all good before you start and you'll be fine.
                      We're looking at over 10,000 miles start to finish, a lot for me but probably not much for a Hilux?!

Comment

Originally posted by Stoned Hippy View Post
                        Unfortunately I don't expect to have internet access the whole way, although i'd say it's more than likely you'll see a few posts from me during the trip!
                        All the tech info you need can be downloaded.

Comment

The comment about putting the spare on the roof was an 'in' joke. Go ahead if you can mount the rack well enough to take the weight. Bundubasher (a member on here) has fitted a rack and put 300 kilos up there for overland trips in Africa.

As far as tyres go, yes, BFG ATs will work and not kill you fuel consumption wise like a mud will. People dont notice the mpg effect over short distances, but I'm sure you would over a few thousand miles. Unless you are expecting lots of mud, dont bother.

Also, yes, snorkel before big lift, and a few inches of suspension lift rather than a body lift would be better for you.
                          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

As said before bgf a/t's would be a good idea ......mine have done 6000k and still look like new .......even off roading them around the plain
                            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

If you want a Haynes style manual, get the Max Ellery one from Milners www.milneroffroad.com

10,000 miles really isn't that much. What I mean is that most people do more than that a year and get annoyed if they have a major problem. As long as you check the fluids every day, check everything's working fine once a week and change fluids and filters a couple of times during the trip any issues would be down to bad luck - assuming it's all working to start with.

In my view, you would be insane to buy BFGs for a car that you're getting rid of in 10,000 miles. Buy the cheapest here:

http://www.4x4tyres.com/index.php?sh...file=31x10.50#

or these (note VAT on top of quoted price) http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=558&vid=697

or just get a set of wheels off a breaker.

Comment

Working...
                              X