No announcement yet.

2.5 ssrx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good point. Cheers. I'll give him a ring tomorrow.

Got her home. It's Bad
    I got her transported instead of driving.
    It sounds like a snapped valve. Low power, lots of oil in the intake which smells very burned. And the turbo feels tight, although it turns smoothly (prob just clogged).
    Also the cam cover gasket has been supplemented with lots of liquid gasket

Engine is 2LTE
    Otherwise the car is in fine fettle.
    A/c and all electrics work. 5 New tyres. I've yet to check the brakes but they feel fine.
    I'll give it a wash and polish this week to bring out any scratches etc, but on the whole it's very clean.

Comment

Ooh, I just noticed your another Lexus owner, marvelous. My engine has two more pistons than yours though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzy Borden View Post
        Good point. Cheers. I'll give him a ring tomorrow.

Got her home. It's Bad
        I got her transported instead of driving.
        It sounds like a snapped valve. Low power, lots of oil in the intake which smells very burned. And the turbo feels tight, although it turns smoothly (prob just clogged).
        Also the cam cover gasket has been supplemented with lots of liquid gasket

Engine is 2LTE
        Otherwise the car is in fine fettle.
        A/c and all electrics work. 5 New tyres. I've yet to check the brakes but they feel fine.
        I'll give it a wash and polish this week to bring out any scratches etc, but on the whole it's very clean.

Sounds like you know what your doing, Welcome have fun and all the best.
        www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger View Post
          Sounds like you know what your doing, Welcome have fun and all the best.
          Not a clue mate
          Just a dabbler. (i have some expierience but no way pro).

Got the turbo off and the compressor/alternator and all the drive belts.
          Gonna get the turbo checked and serviced locally.
          I doubted the odo reading at 1st (93k/km) but not after stripping down.
          Everything is very clean and new.
          I'm guessing the head has failed due to lack of oil changes or just crap oil.
          (it still has a jap filter on).
          The water was brown but slimey(had antifreeze in).
          Hopefully the head will be off by fri/sat.

Comment

Head's off and my suspicions confirmed.
            The exhaust valves on 1 & 4 have been contacting the pistons. Not sure why yet but i'll speak to stevo tomoz and see if he can shed any light on it.

The continued strip down revealed a lack of gaskets on many of the fittings leading me to think that some dope has already attempted a head change and failed, miserably.

I'm confident there's no problematic damage to the pistons but the heads scrap.
            I can only assume the timing has slipped somehow or this is one of those cheap heads everyone has warned about.

Anyhoo, £675 for a new head seems fair on top of the £560 i paid for her.

I'm going for some liberal amounts of chrome on some of the parts before re-building, and shot blasting and hi heat paint on the cast parts.
            The EGR is scrap (capping it off. Its choked with carbon).

I have access to a 6KW laser for cutting parts and gaskets etc, so it's no sweat blanking the EGR off.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              Ooh, I just noticed your another Lexus owner, marvelous. My engine has two more pistons than yours though.
              What ya got? LS or SC, RX?

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzy Borden View Post
                What ya got? LS or SC, RX?
                I had an LS. It's heart now beats in my Surf...

Comment

Kewl!

How hard was that to fit then?

Spoke to Stevo yesterday (Fri). What a nice man.

Head will be on it's way monday/tues.

I just need a set of drivebelts (4 off). Anyone know where to get them?
                  Gonna spend the next few days painting the parts i blasted today.
                  Getting the cam cover chromed and maybe a few other bits.

New filters (oil, air, fuel) ordered too.
                  Radiator removed and flushed.
                  Hopefully roadworthy by next weekend.
                  Last edited by Lizzy Borden; 17 May 2008, 15:43.

Comment

I did some checking today.
                    Pistons 1 & 4 are loose in the bores.
                    I noticed they weren't coming as high in the bores as 2 & 3.
                    I'll be speaking to Stevo tomoz but i am wondering why this possibility was never mentioned in our previous conversation?
                    Seems there was nothing wrong with the head after all
                    So it's either gudgeon pins or big end bearings or something of the sort.
                    I may have just wasted £675NOT happy.

Comment

....OK. Big ends gone too. As a result the pistons where hitting the valves, not the other way round!
                      The head is still getting replaced as it has bent valves anyway and i'm not risking putting it back on.
                      The new head is here. Engine is out and i'll be removing the crank on sunday.

Stevo is sending me a re-ground crank and bearings on an exchange basis next week hopefully.

Apart from the labour (getting those torque converter bolts off the flywheel was a bitch) the engine came out very easily, and i see no reason why it shouldn't go back just as.

This set back is gonna cost in the region of £160. I'm happy with that.

It also means the block gets a good clean and paint while it's out, as all the other bits have done.
                      The end result should be a virtually new engine.
                      The bores are fine and i can't even detect a lip at the top confirming the odo reading. Again i think this damage is a result of poor oil (if any) changes.

On checking the tables for oil i'm not gonna use 5w30 full synth, but what's everyone else using?

Gary.
                      Last edited by Lizzy Borden; 4 June 2008, 19:15.

Comment

Working...
                      X