Needed Urgently Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needed Urgently Turbo

I need asap a turbo for my surf 92 2.4td auto. Anyone know any breakers or anyone with one??? Just failed MOT and I am stranded!!!
    Lu 07976308231

There's normally a few on eBay, but it might be worth PMing Stormforce as he has a breaker or two.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Lu-lu View Post
      I need asap a turbo for my surf 92 2.4td auto. Anyone know any breakers or anyone with one??? Just failed MOT and I am stranded!!!
      Lu 07976308231
      Failed the MOT 'cos of the turbo??????

Are you sure the turbo is knackered? 'cos there ain't much to go wrong with them apart from bearings, flaps or impellers, the truck will still drive but it'll feel like the handbrake is stuck on 'cos of the lack of power..

Comment

...and if any of those had broken, you're hear it for sure!

Slower Vince? its a 2.4, how would you be able to tell?

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          ...and if any of those had broken, you're hear it for sure!

Slower Vince? its a 2.4, how would you be able to tell?
          Well, without turbo assistance, a calander is needed to measure 0-60mph times.

Comment

They didnt bother doing the emmissions cos of the smoke when revved!!! ( I had only noticed it smoking on the first cold start of the day but it is obvious that if I had given it some welly it would have blinded who ever was behind me!!) there is oil all over the turbo air intake and the bearings are 'wobbly' he showed me!! it has lacked power for a while but I put it down to a crappy 2.4 engine. I have decided a new £300 one is a no no as I had the head done only last December by Stevo, so a second hand one is on the cards!
            I have seen the one on ebay its on watch! Thanks to who ever text me too ill call as soon as I hear from the garage......
            I wonder whats next to go wrong!!
            Hey Apache, have you seen the blue 3.0 surf for sale on Upper Howsell road? that was at the gagrage too this am! apparently the guy who owns it works for RSM motors do you know him? Was it you I saw at the traffic lights in the link by Texaco the other week?
            Lu Lu

Comment

OK, if the turbo was THAT bad, I'm sure Stevo would have noticed it.
              If there's oil all over the turbo, and I'm guessing it's black, then it's either the ducting that connects onto the turbo from the air filter has oil residue in there (It's condensed oil vapour from the engine breather on the side of the top cover on the cylinder head) and has collected at the lowest point i.e. the rubber elbow that connects onto the turbo, and is dribbling out. (just remove this ducting and wash/wipe out)
              Or, one of the oil supply pipes is leaking.

The wobbly part the garage showed you is the impeller, or turbine blades/bearing which has slight 'play' in it, but not excessive side to side movement.
              Unless the turbo is making loud clattery noises, like a handful of nails in a coffee can, then it should still work.
              Re: the smoke, either get a couple of bottles of injector cleaner and pour them into the fuel tank. Or half fill your tank with veg-oil to reduce smoke/immisions readings. Either way, make sure you get the engine really hot before the MOT and the readings will be lower anyway.

Are your glowplugs working OK, does the truck start without smokey spluttering from cold?

How many miles/KMs has the truck done?

Comment

i am sure i got a turbo here for a 2.4 if you want to pm me or ring 07974183876 then we may be able to sort a price out to suit both of us
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I think it was fine when stevo had it last year! its a recent thing,
                  what I should have done was asked you lot before I took it for the MOT! its too late now the garage has it for repair and the MOT ran out last wed (I forgot!! blonde moment) so its not road legal!!
                  Thanks stormforce ill be in touch as soon as the garage gets back to me, i have had a few turbo offers! (love this site)

Comment

dont let them rip you off.have you done the egr mod,this can reduce smoke significantly
                    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

.........plus, if they have diagnosed and are 'fixing' the problem, make sure you test drive it yourself and that you're happy with the performance before handing over payment.

Comment

Lu, I'm happy to pop round one lunchtime when the trucks back on the road (waiting for shocks at the mo) and have a look if you like.

It might have been me by the Texaco garage. Big with stickers?

The blue one on Howsell road looks OK. I dont think the owner does any offroading, he's a fisherman by the look of the stickers on it. No 2nd gens are worth more than £2.5k now though - if you were thinking that way...

Comment

Originally posted by Lu-lu View Post
                          I think it was fine when stevo had it last year! its a recent thing,
                          what I should have done was asked you lot before I took it for the MOT! its too late now the garage has it for repair and the MOT ran out last wed (I forgot!! blonde moment) so its not road legal!!
                          Thanks stormforce ill be in touch as soon as the garage gets back to me, i have had a few turbo offers! (love this site)
                          What the others are saying, (and the point you appear to be missing), is that, (whilst it may actually be correct), the garages diagnosis seems dubious at best.

Comment

Well I have a superb courtesy car today!!
                            A nissan micra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yuck spit! better than walking though!
                            The garage now arnt convinced about the turbo and they are investigating the pump now! I have got my partner on the case just incase they try and rip me off cos I am 'a girly!!!!!'
                            So watch this space ill keep you updated on my adventure!

I am def not thinking about another surf! the one I have is ok and once I fix everything I will have a new car!! ha ha. Got a new engine, brakes, exhaust, tyres, fan, rubber gaiters etc etc,
                            The body work is great!!
                            Anyway thanks everone for your help and advice...
                            Lu lu

Comment

Working...
                            X