3 wheel drive!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 wheel drive!!

hi all, i've recently got a '93 2.4 surf. no drive to front left wheel - had a mechanic look at it and he told me to get a new cv joint for the end of the driveshaft, where it connects to the hub, previous owner left a drive boot go to pieces... so, anyone had to do this job? and know where to get the parts i need/how much they cost? thanks!

Hang fire with this, you'll have to wait until one of the Irish lads logs on and reads your post.
    I'm sure Jim, Morr or Ciaran will be able to help you. Unfortunately you are in a minority over there and I'm unsure where to point you.
    If you have problems sourcing something in Ireland you could try
    Milners, Derbyshire - www.milneroffroad.com
    Roughtrax, Bristol - www.toyotahilux.com

or try a local car parts supplier. The running gear is the same as the UK 4runner (Toyota could probably supply but it will possibly be expensive)
    Good luck

NO WORRIES!
    Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by larryd
      hi all, i've recently got a '93 2.4 surf. no drive to front left wheel - had a mechanic look at it and he told me to get a new cv joint for the end of the driveshaft, where it connects to the hub, previous owner left a drive boot go to pieces... so, anyone had to do this job? and know where to get the parts i need/how much they cost? thanks!
      Hi Larry, as Rusty said the running gear is the same as a 4Runner, altough I don' think the 4Runner was ever sold in Ireland, the motor factors will certainly have a listing for them and should have no problem supplying them. I've never had to do a cv on a surf so can't help you with price.

Are you going to do the replacement your self or have a mech do it?
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

CV a Surf is a piece of pee. Theres a 4x4 breakers in Cahir that have a Surf. It had the axles on it when i saw it a month ago. Im pretty sure his name is Martin Walsh. Otherwise Milers are good and probably a lot cheaper than Toyota, but i would check them for a price just in case. Hop that helped.
        Del
        Derek :
        1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
        [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

cheers guys, should get sorted now. have a mech buddy to tackle it Morr, am not quite up to it i reckon! until next problem, i mean, time, take it easy!

Comment

I don't get this, if the CV is busted up enough not to drive, it will be clanking around making a horrendous noise and locking up the front wheel even while you are in 2WD.

Are you sure the ADD is working, or its just the front diff working properly?

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by larryd
              I gotta go with Tony on this one,sounds very much like the auto diff disconnect has given up the ghost! Check all vac hoses and solenoids.
              Alternatively check the diff operation again, It's meant to lose drive on one side (Open diff) even in 4wd.
              www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

3 wheel drive

actually a common misconception with all 4x4's (without lockers or lsd's) is that all 4 wheels provide traction, this is not the case, drive will go to the wheel with least resistance on each axle, a 'cross axle' situation demonstrates this perfectly (cross axle-ing is when one rear and one front wheel are off the ground, and all traction is lost.(obviously the wheels off the ground would have to be diagonally opposite for this situation to arise)) so i apologise if i am being patronising, but some people may not be aware of this.
                [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Normal, I think

Just to back up what some others have been saying...

I have a '94 V6 UK 4Runner and this is sort of normal behaviour, as I understand it.

Mine has LSD on the back axel (great for doh-nuts in 2WD), but not on the front. This means that if I put it in 4WD and spin the wheels, only 3 of them will spin, the 2 back and one of the front.

I think some Surfs don't even have LSD on the back axle, so are only really 2 wheel drive, but you can check this by looking at the VIN number, I think they say if the last group of number begin with 3 or 5, then it has LSD. From what you decribe, it sounds like yours does have. [I think all UK 4Runner have rear LSD]

Having said this, although I'm not a seroius off-roader [yet...], When I have been on the beach fishing or in a some mud, as soon as it start feeling a little stuck, I whack it in 4WD, and breaze through, no problems.

http://www.geocities.com/pauls_truck/
                  http://www.paulw.clara.net/V6-Ad.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X