Crank Shaft Bolt and Pully Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank Shaft Bolt and Pully Removal

I have been struggleing to undo the crank pully bolt on my 2.4lte motor for a few days.

I tried all mannor of M8 bolt and bar combinations to no avail. I got in an industrial compressor for the my air gun and that still didnt work.

So i cut the cam belt and carried on with the head replacement.

I managed to undo the pully bolt by using two head bolts and a stip of 5mm steel. Fit the head bolts accross cyl 1 and drill the steel to match.

Use a block to wood large enough to spred the load accross the piston, i used a fresh bit of tree that was perfect size for the cyl. Place the wood in the cyl so that the piston contacts it about 3/4 the way up its compression stroke and as its stopped by the metal strip bobs your uncle.

My bolt was really stiff and covered in thred locking gue but was a sinch to undo this way.

Hope this is useful

Regards Andy

I changed my own head, to undo crank pulley used a long chain wrench, round pulley, and socket on nut, two man job but it works and no damage to harmonics. pulley came off with a gentle pull by hand.
    If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Originally posted by GRASSMAN View Post
      I changed my own head, to undo crank pulley used a long chain wrench, round pulley, and socket on nut, two man job but it works and no damage to harmonics. pulley came off with a gentle pull by hand.
      a crow-bar to the floor and to the center of the hub works well too
      NO MORE MR NICE GUY!

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel Turbo View Post
        a crow-bar to the floor and to the center of the hub works well too

Really?

Comment

crowbar

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Really?
          Yes, the length is spot on and the curve goes arond the rad pipe nicely, the end slots in nicley to the spaces in the pulley at the center next to the crank
          Last edited by Diesel Turbo; 17 March 2011, 14:52.
          NO MORE MR NICE GUY!

Comment

Originally posted by GRASSMAN View Post
            to undo crank pulley used a long chain wrench, round pulley, and socket on nut, ....... no damage to harmonics.
            I wouldn't recommend this method either. Not damaging the rubber in the damper was probably luck rather than good judgement.

There's a well documented and 100% successful method which uses one of the belt adjusters as a lever.
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              I wouldn't recommend this method either. Not damaging the rubber in the damper was probably luck rather than good judgement.

There's a well documented and 100% successful method which uses one of the belt adjusters as a lever.
              I agree
              NO MORE MR NICE GUY!

Comment

I got a socket and a longer breaker bar ....rested it on the chassie and cranked the.motor ovrr and hay presto

Comment

Originally posted by teknik View Post
                  I got a socket and a longer breaker bar ....rested it on the chassie and cranked the.motor ovrr and hay presto
                  I wouldn't recommend that either, it's irresponsible.
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

hmm

Originally posted by teknik View Post
                    lucky you dint break the crank or damage the seal
                    NO MORE MR NICE GUY!

Comment

Yeah or bent the chassis.

Comment

I see we are dragging out 3 year old threads again!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Yup, things really are that bad.

Comment

hmm

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                            I see we are dragging out 3 year old threads again!!

you have to remember that this information is timeless and always has the same usefulness even if from a while back, helps them that are new to surfs...like me lol
                            NO MORE MR NICE GUY!

Comment

Working...
                            X