new problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new problem

got a new rad cap and thermo burped the system but still overheating the hot air from heater goes from red hot to ice cold, but on sunday the engine locked and would not turn over when i tried to start it, the mechanic at work said it was hydro static locking " what does this mean and is it serious"
    if it wasnt for bad luck i would have no luck atall
    if it wasnt for bad luck i would have none

hydro static locking can never be described as good...

what he's trying to tell you is there is water in one or more cylinders and when you've turned it over engine has tried to compress this and water don't squash.

head off if that's what it is, 2 other alternatives, replace engine or carpark in the sky
    Toot! Toot!

Comment

Originally posted by edinburgh sniper View Post
      got a new rad cap and thermo burped the system but still overheating the hot air from heater goes from red hot to ice cold, but on sunday the engine locked and would not turn over when i tried to start it, the mechanic at work said it was hydro static locking " what does this mean and is it serious"
      if it wasnt for bad luck i would have no luck atall
      If it is actually hydro locked, it means there is water in the cylinders and it's not very good at all to be honest.

Heaters were inconsistent because of air still in the cooling system.

When you say the engine locked, what happened, were you driving at the time?

Comment

did you have your rear heater set to hot when you burped the system? you can get an air lock there.

as for the 'hydro static locking' sounds a bit weird. more likely a loose wire, or you starter packing up (our truck are getting on a bit) or something else simple. did you have an immobiliser? could be that.

hope you get it sorted as i am too having trouble with mine. I feel like giving it a good kicking but, i know i will get it fixed so i can abuse it some more.
        it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy View Post
          did you have your rear heater set to hot when you burped the system? you can get an air lock there.

as for the 'hydro static locking' sounds a bit weird. more likely a loose wire, or you starter packing up (our truck are getting on a bit) or something else simple. did you have an immobiliser? could be that.

hope you get it sorted as i am too having trouble with mine. I feel like giving it a good kicking but, i know i will get it fixed so i can abuse it some more.
          Good points. When you say not turning over, is it not doing anything at all or can you hear the starter engaging and not turning the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
            Good points. When you say not turning over, is it not doing anything at all or can you hear the starter engaging and not turning the engine?
            when i went to start the engine it was as if the starter motor had jammed and i had to klick it about three or four times befor it turned over.
            does this mean its a new head needed?

Comment

when i went to start the engine it was as if the starter motor had jammed and i had to klick it about three or four times befor it turned over.
              does this mean its a new head needed?
              And what happened when it turned over?

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                And what happened when it turned over?
                it turned over and started as normal, but when i leave it overnight it sticks again but not when its been run

Comment

it turned over and started as normal, but when i leave it overnight it sticks again but not when its been run
                  Well it's not hydro locked then. Sounds more like the starter.

Comment

Like Sancho said, that ain't hydro-locked. Do a search for starter motor contacts.

The hot/cold air from the heaters is because you've filled the system too quickly and have airlocks.

Comment

reburped the system and its starting ok heater working a treat so touch wood its all ok, thanx all for the advice

Comment

more problems overheating

replaced thermostat, rad cap water pump burped the system was alright for about 2 days then back to square 1.
                        tried reburping air bubbles for about 5 min then steam and rad gets hot heaters blowing hot, then refill with water ( slowly ) more air then it pushes the water back out then steam, i am rapidly losing patience and think im running up a huge water bill, any help?

Comment

Working...
                        X