2.4 Engine change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 Engine change

I'am by no means a expert mechanic but thought i would post a few pics and wright a bit of stuff that may help people in the future

Engine from stormforce expertly rapped thanks Rich

Started to unbolt the old surf today,
    Took of air box, batteries, fan, diesel filter and anything else that looks like it's in the way

May sound simple but take the front wheels off, everythings a lot easier
    Next to unbolt the torque converter from the fly wheel so the engine lifts out easier
    This is a bit fiddily as you only have a small inspection hole at the bottom of the bell housing to undo the six bolts, and you can only see one at a time so you have to keep turning the engine around using a ratchet on the bottom pulley

The only problem is that my engine must have snapped a rod or something coz i could only turn it round so far and only got 4 bolts so that was a waste of time.

Next the easy bolts around the bottom and sides of the bell housing, starter motor and exhaust mount, just leaving the two sods on the top.

Now i'am going to try and undo the engine mounts and drop the engine a bit so i can get too the ones on the top
    Last edited by Tiger; 25 April 2008, 19:44.
    www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

I hope u get more pic's on before wednesday lol
    I am gonna have to take a 3ltr out for richard.

Anyway good luck with the change mate
    One day at the time I guess..

Comment

I found it easier to support the transfer case on a jack and remove thecross member mounting that holds the gearbox etc, this allows easy access to the top bolts as the weight of the transfer and gearbox pulls the engine down at an angle, making access to the top bolts easy
      Roy
      When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

Ok next little bit,

Undid the four bolts where the exhaust bolts on to the turbo undid the clip that holds the oil pipes to the left hand side of the engine as you look at it.
        Important If you have not seperated the flywheel from the torque converter you must take the pulleys of and the radiator out or you will wedge the engine like me and snap the pipe of the heater matrix And i already new that.

Now take the strain of the engine with your hoist and split the engine using a bar to slightly lever it against the bulk head, once split lift it up a couple of inches and stop.

Now you can easily seperate all the electrical conections down the right hand side of the engine as you look at it undo the starter cables and an earth on the back of the cowling at the top
        Heater plug connections and anything else.
        Do not rush with the electrical plugs they are very easily broken
        The clip on the side of the fuel pump flips out not push in like it looks like it should
        www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

your at the same stage as i am at the moment Chris.i donee it the same way as you but i jacked the bellhousing up a couple of inches so that the torque converter slid out easier once the engine was lifted a few inches.
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

finished work early and got a bonus couple of hours on the surf, think i found out what was wrong with the old engine

Unbolted the torque converter of the old engine and put it back on the gearbox just slides in on the splines wiggle it about and make sure it goes all the way home.

So got the old fork lift out lowered the engine nearly all the way back in then thread the cables back daown the side of the engine and out in the middle just by the fuel pump, put the earth connection back on at the back top of the cowling, and reconnect the grey plug at the bottom under the starter and connect the starter lead, these are the hardest to do when the engine is fully in.

Now align the engine and gear box with a mix of a dodgy fork lift driver (my dad) a jack on the gear box and a lot of wigleing. Whack in a few bolts and there you have it

www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger View Post
              finished work early and got a bonus couple of hours on the surf, think i found out what was wrong with the old engine
              Hmmmm, Oil leak
              Roy
              When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

One of the lads who works for me started to change my heater matrix today

I f@kin hope he knows how it all goes back together
                www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Bit short on photo's at the minute.

Carefully find all loose wires, vacume pipes and find homes for them. I think i would have really struggled if i hadnt had another surf too look at.

There were to circular washer connection that took me ages to find a home for, I eventually found they went on under the inlet maifold with a ceramic spacer between them, (I will get photo's) and it was a git to get on.
                  There are two earth connections low down on either side of the engine.

fingers crossed Very close to firing up just got to put the rad back in and bleed the diesel through. And sort out loads of photo's
                  www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X