Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Sh1t!! Or is it??

Guys,
    Been sat here for last half hour reading through all threads on the dreaded overheating, but still looking for someone to say ' there there, it will be ok, its not the head'

Surf been driving faultlessly for last 1000 miles, all vital signs normal, if anything running a bit cold!! Today, all of a sudden, temp gauge goes through the roof, bubbling from expansion tank, and a slight drop in oil pressure on the gauge. I turned her off, left her for 10 mins, then had no choice but to drive her the 15 miles or so home. Temp gauge was erratic, up to red then down to under half again, but obviously cooler while driving than when stationary. Oil pressure remained just under half on gauge, and while she did get hot again, she didn't actually overheat.

I can't open rad cap at mo, too hot, but coolant looks normal in expansion tank, but has pi55ed out of overflow pipe. Don't know if head ever been done, current mileage 126,000Km.

I've had a right old week of it with setting myself on fire and stuff, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry if this question been asked a million times before, but I'm desperate!!

Cheers all,

Bu5h
    If you play with fire.....

replace the rad cap and thermostat then burp the cooling system and see how you go.
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Erratic temperature would imply air locks. Do as Tim says and you may have got away with it. You will soon know.

Comment

Also if you have a friendly garage with a block tester ( checks for exhaust gases in the coolant ) it would be a good idea to get it checked......
        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Many thanks for replies fellas, I've now been out and got rad cap off, checked levels etc. The rad cap is clean underneath, and seal looks fine, no of the dreaded brown sh1te under cap, engine oil is fine and looks as it should, gearbox oil is also at right level and normal colour. The truck is running and driving absolutely 1st class, apart from temp obviously.

I will take your advice and change rad cap and temp unit, am I ok driving it 50 mile round trip to work you reckon, and if it is the head, would it be running as well as it is? I will also try to get compression test done but the way my luck is going, not sure I wanna know

Thanks again.

Comment

this is a similar problem to mine but i cannot find a link to burping the system
            the thread seems to be out of date so if anyone can point me in the right direction
            if it wasnt for bad luck i would have none

Comment

Originally posted by edinburgh sniper View Post
              this is a similar problem to mine but i cannot find a link to burping the system
              the thread seems to be out of date so if anyone can point me in the right direction
              to burp the cooling system
              take off rad cap and set both heaters to hot and full blast.Start engine and top up coolant as needed.Only fill the exspansion bottle by 2/3 max.
              once theres no more air bubbles coming out fit rad cap and take for a good drive and then allow to cool down.remove the rad cap once cold enough to do so and check levels again and repeat if neccesary.If you are able to leave the truck with the front uphill slightly overnight then leave the rad cap off and leave on the drivers seat so you'll sit on it the next morning and remember to refit.By leaving the front facing up hill them that will help any trapped air to rise to the highest point to escape which is the rad cap.HTH
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

cheers for that stormforce i have ordered a new rad cap and thermo i will try this at the weekend
                if it wasnt for bad luck i would have none

Comment

Me too Thanks for advice m8, I'm gonna keep everything crossed, otherwise its a call to Stevo and no beer for a month

Comment

Another thing to check when the engine is up to temp and that is make sure the rear heater is hot ,cause as it isn't used a great deal the pipes which run under the truck to the rear heater tend to block up so you will need to unblock the pipes or bypass the rear heater as this may cause air blocks also

Comment

Burped system this morning, whilst cold, and then drove 25 or so miles and temp gauge didn't rise further than 1/3rd of gauge, but for most of journey sat just fractionally past the 'C' so fairly cold! I have ordered stat and rad cap from Roughtrax, and will fit those tomorrow hopefully.

Just a thought, I switched air con on yesterday for first time since owning the truck, just to keep lubricated etc really, is it just a coincidence it then overheated shortly after, or could there be a connection?

Thanks for all advice so far.

Bu5h.

Comment

it is probably just coinsidence but someone will probably say for certain but i doubt it is connected

Comment

Well, new stat and rad cap fitted, re-burped, and so far so good, might have got away with it, time will tell I guess. Also had compression test carried out by a friend from top of rad cap housing, and no pressure there. Fingers crossed.

This might be a real dumb arse question, but I'm toying with the idea of putting a bonnet scoop on the Surf, as if it had an intercooler fitted. Do you think this will -

a) Improve airflow across top of head and increase cooling.
                          b) Be ok to cut appropriate hole in bonnet
                          c) Anyone ever done anything like it

As I say, I'm prepared to be ridiculed on this one, but figure if it serves a purpose and looks ok, why not?

Comment

you will be ok to put a scoop on the bonnet but have it facing the windscreen to allow the hot air out

Comment

Ok, Cheers Rich, won't that look a bit odd though, and no cooler air will be entering engine from that way round, or do you mean have vents both sides?

Comment

Working...
                              X