No announcement yet.

Wot No Viscous Fan!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the part in the Pic, seems to be the only thing standing in the way of getting the pipe out.
    Is it safe to remove without doing anything but undoing the couplings either side?
    I reckon it's just the direct flow to engine of air after the turbo impeller? am I right? it just seems solid without being directly bolted to anything.

Last edited by donkeyporge; 18 April 2008, 15:20. Reason: no pic

Comment

Originally posted by donkeyporge View Post
      What is the part in the Pic, seems to be the only thing standing in the way of getting the pipe out.
      Is it safe to remove without doing anything but undoing the couplings either side?
      I reckon it's just the direct flow to engine of air after the turbo impeller? am I right? it just seems solid without being directly bolted to anything.
      Yep, nothing but air and a little drizzle of oil in there.

Comment

Did you remove the bolt from position arrowed in pic below? There is two nuts for the pipe flange on studs to turbo, did you remove both?

Nev
        Attached Files

Comment

OK, I have now fixed the leak.. just waiting now to burp the cooling fluid. new Turbo coolant inlet pipe... Thanks NiftyNev for identifying the part and item numbers

Now.....back to my original topic, I have managed to order a 2nd hand Viscous Fan. I have seen the disassembly thready many times and I intend to refurbish it when it comes.
          Can I just feed it down between the rad and belts to attach or do I need to remove grill & rad to put it in?
          I have put a pic here for you... Do I just attach the fan + coupling using these bolts on this wheel?

Comment

Reattach it using the small nuts shown.

You won't need to take the rad out.

You will need to remove the shroud - if they are all there you will find about 6 small bolts holding an upper (complete) and a lower half shroud together. Only take out the upper.

The most difficult bolt will be the lower middle - well hidden by your air con and bash plate.
            Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Is there supposed to be a washer between the Nut and the fan base?
              I just want to make sure it's on properly.

Comment

Originally posted by donkeyporge View Post
                Is there supposed to be a washer between the Nut and the fan base?
                I just want to make sure it's on properly.
                No. They should be flanged nuts. If not then get the correct nuts. M8 X 1.25.

Nev

Comment

Rather than look at putting a new/2nd hand viscous fan in there, look at getting a Kenlowe electric replacement.

http://www.kenlowe.com/

Use the enquiry details list to ask them for a specific vehicle requirement.
                  Mike G

Comment

Well I have to say... THANK YOU
                    to all that helped. I now have a fully functioning Viscous Fan, good job as the past 2 days have been very warm. it was an easy job to do in the end. the most difficult bit was getting the shroud off. mine was only a 1 part shroud that went around the whole rad with only 2 bolts holding it on... left it off in the end because i couldn't be 4rsed putting it back in. that shouldn't cause a problem should it?
                    Now a new thread.. removing the air con!

I have never messed with an engine/vehicle before getting my Surf, now it seems I have had to do loads... I am enjoying it though.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X