dummy casing removal..what next ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dummy casing removal..what next ?

Those of you who have read my previous threads will know why i need to remove this casing. I've got as far as removing crank and fuel pump cogs,belt tensioner and all the casing bolts..question is what do i do next, and how. waiting for info cos i am now desperate to get surfy back on the road...cheers all
    STEVIE J

Hi Steve, you will need to drop the sump to remove the front casing as the oil pick up pipe is attatched to it, sorry! hope this helps a bit.
    Cheers, Steve.

Comment

Diagram below shows where the oil pickup is connected to the housing and inside the sump.

Nev
      Attached Files

Comment

sump removal

thanks guys, apparently i need to remove front diff to get sump off,is this a hard job anam i right in thinking i need to disconnect driveshafts , undo engine mounts and then raise engine with jack,,never really worked on a car before so any advice is very welcome.........when i've eventually got sump off are there any other jobs i can be doing. i don't think my surf has had much tlc in the past...i'd like to know how to thourouly flush engine. oil was changed when i got it and 2 months later it was like tar. thanks again for any help
        STEVIE J

Comment

you can undo the drive shafts from the diff end as theres 6 i think bolts to undo on each one.You should be able to take off the cross member i would think to lower the diff and should be able to leave the front prop attatched to the diff unless you want to move the diff right out the way then you'll need to undo the bolts for that also.I haven't done this myself but from breaking a couple of trucks this looks like it will work ok
          but if you need a short block in the end let me know as i got a 2.4 short block in the garden and if its not sold this week then it'll go to the sc rap yard
          Last edited by stormforce; 13 April 2008, 13:28.
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

short block

excuse my ignorance but what is a short block? Also are there any jobs that i can do once i've got diff down and sump off. Can all this be done on floor as i have no access to a pit cheers
            STEVIE J

Comment

If you got ramps or axel stands just to give you a bit more room then i cant see why you shouldn't be able to do it on the floor.
              Short block is just the bare engine block with no head or anything on it
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
              X