• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it the bronze bush?

i got a small clatter going off in both front wheels
    i fixed this ages ago it was the bearings
    but this time i took the hub off and the bearings are ok but the
    12mm bolt that gose in to in to the end of the drive shaft (i think its called)
    i can rock that about
    it gose from the trassmision to the end of the hub (i know how to get that out)
    should that rock about
    if so is it the broze bush i heard so much about
    i could do with knowing
    whats it look like and where its gose
    how hard of a job is it

hope thats readable
    thanks anyone
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

The end of the shaft with the bolt in it should be pretty snug in the drive plate on the hub, this holds it in place, the outer bronze bush is really only a thrush bearing for in and out movement of the shaft.

The inner bronze bush is normally the one that wears, hold the outer CV joint where it disappears into the hub and see if you can move it up and down, this is play in the inner bronze bush. They have play from new, it won't ever be tight, but you shouldn't be able to rock the outer CV to much and hear it clunk.

Bronze bush rattles normally go away if you put it 4wd in a straight line on the road, this is a good way of diagnosing the bush, as when the sahft is spinning, it dosn't rattle up and down.

Did you not have the bushes done last year, in that big list of work you had done on the truck?
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

When mine went it sounded like a screaming hammerdrill , i did drag the spring from thr seal through it
      ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
        The end of the shaft with the bolt in it should be pretty snug in the drive plate on the hub, this holds it in place, the outer bronze bush is really only a thrush bearing for in and out movement of the shaft.

The inner bronze bush is normally the one that wears, hold the outer CV joint where it disappears into the hub and see if you can move it up and down, this is play in the inner bronze bush. They have play from new, it won't ever be tight, but you shouldn't be able to rock the outer CV to much and hear it clunk.

Bronze bush rattles normally go away if you put it 4wd in a straight line on the road, this is a good way of diagnosing the bush, as when the sahft is spinning, it dosn't rattle up and down.

Did you not have the bushes done last year, in that big list of work you had done on the truck?

i did get them done
        but i did not see them get done
        if ya know what i mean
        there is a lot of play in it
        but i dont know if its normal

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post

tryed the 4 wheel drive it stoped on the drivers side
          but the passagers side just carryed on makeing the same noise?

its looking like the work shop job

Comment

Working...
          X