Gearbox troubles, still...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox troubles, still...

You'll all know I'm having gearbox troubles. The fault didn't creep up, it happened suddenly.

The problem is that it doesn't shift properly, it tries to shift, but doesn't feel like it's completed the shift. It seems to shift up and down a couple of times before it actually shifts.

The truck runs fine, I can pull away quickly and it will do over 90mph, so it is moving through all the gears.

I checked the error codes and the only one I got was 11, this didn't point to anything obvious with the gearbox, but some digging showed that a duff TPS will give this code. TPS was changed and adjusted, but still the same fault with the gearbox.

Things I've done: Stall check - stalls at 2800rpm, shift times are both about 1.4 seconds, box shifts OK with the solenoids disconnected, ATF has been changed out twice and the ECU has been changed.

I also have an earth fault in the OD system somewhere. OD on, all OK, OD off (lights off and brake pedal not depressed) OD off light on. Brake pedal pressed OD off light dims, lights on, OD off light dims. Don't know if this is relevant.

The only thing I've not changed is the we box in the driver's foot well, could that cause these issues?

Anyone got any suggestions on what to try next? I don't want to change the box until I've exhausted absolutely every possibility.
    Last edited by Albannach; 10 April 2008, 13:43. Reason: More information
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
    You'll all know I'm having gearbox troubles. The fault idn't creep up, it happened suddenly.

The problem is that it doesn't shift properly, it tries to shift, but doesn't feel like it's completed the shift. It seems to shift up and down a couple of times before it actually shifts.

The truck runs fine, I can pull away quickly and it will do over 90mph, so it is moving through all the gears.

I checked the error codes and the only one I got was 11, this didn't point to anything obvious with the gearbox, but some digging showed that a duff TPS will give this code. TPS was changed and adjusted, but still the same fault with the gearbox.

Things I've done: Stall check - stalls at 2800rpm, shift times are both about 1.4 seconds, box shifts OK with the solenoids disconnected, ATF has been changed out twice and the ECU has been changed.

Anone got any suggestons on what to try next? I don't want to change the box until I've exhausted absolutely every possibility.
    not sure really but Bushwacker has a box he is trying to get rid off..

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...t=44216&page=2

maybe that will do lol
    One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Thanks for the reminder Toby, want to exhaust everything else before I change the box.

Just remembered, I have an earth fault in the OD system somewhere. OD on, all OK, OD off (lights off and brake pedal not depressed) OD off light on. Brake pedal pressed OD off light dims, lights on, OD off light dims. Don't know if this is relevant. Will edit the OP.

Comment

Have you looked at the wiring on the transmission? If I remember correctly, some of it runs quite close to the exhaust on the 2.4.

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Have you looked at the wiring on the transmission? If I remember correctly, some of it runs quite close to the exhaust on the 2.4.

Just a thought.
          No, to be honest. I'll check in the morning.

Comment

just thought for when u are running out of options lol..
            Bushacker might hav a good point actually above.

well anyways hope u get it sorted soon mate..
            One day at the time I guess..

Comment

I looked at the wiring where it passes close to the exhaust, it looks like it's been modified at some point, can anyone tell me if this looks like it should?

Also, on the back of the transfer box, what is this and what are the 2 electrical doofers?

Last edited by Albannach; 10 April 2008, 14:56.

Comment

Did this get sorted out and fixed yet already?

wish you the best on this.

Comment

Originally posted by mj1226 View Post
                  Did this get sorted out and fixed yet already?

wish you the best on this.
                  I scrapped the truck 2 years ago, never got to the bottom of the gearbox woes.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    I scrapped the truck 2 years ago, never got to the bottom of the gearbox woes.
                    Just got fresh exciting ones on new truck!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                    X