Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choking...?

Have a little problem....lol
    The surf runs fine when cold, once its warm an i've driven a few miles if i stop at lights or in traffic once i start moving again there is a dull sound coming from the engine and the engine warning light comes on, the engine then feels like its choking and there is very little pull....? The turbo is fine, ive had that off and checked it.... all the vacum pipes seem fine... just wondering if 1 could be a little blocked..? does that happen? Any help would be great.......

Cheers in advance.
    Always assume the worst.....Anything less is a bonus!!

Couple of things spring to mind...

Your injectors might be a little blocked, put a full bottle of Wynns Diesel injector cleaner or Redex into a quarter tank and boot it for a while.

The Fuel Filter is slightly blocked, need a new one.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

OMG......!! GAVE MYSELF A HEART ATTACK...! Thought i'd read need a new fuel pump...!!! cheers will have a look at the filter... already stuck a bottle of cleaner in there about 3 weeks ago.... always use it every 3 months or so.....

Comment

I'm not saying it isn't the pump, just a few things to check first.

Hope it isn't the pump.
        Paul </Slugsie>
        Immortal.so far!

Comment

You could have a vacuum in the fuel tank caused by a blocked breather. Does it hiss when you take the fuel cap off? Drive it around for a bit with the cap off and see if that sorts it. If so, you need to clear the breather.

Comment

just about to go out back and check both.... Heres another little thing that maybe of help, if it starts choking all i do is stop, turn off and leave it for a few seconds and start it again....problem solved until i next have to stop for a bit.....

Lets hope its not a pump....!!!

Comment

I am a little confused... spent last night mulling over a few things...
              But how does the fuel filter work fine while i'm driving, but start to block after i've idled for a bit?

Comment

My thinking was something along the lines of at idle the fuel pressure is lower, so if the filter is a bit clogged then it'll be harder for the fuel to get through it possibly resulting in fuel starvation. Similar thoughts for the injectors.

Could be b*ll*cks thinking mind you.
                Paul </Slugsie>
                Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by speedymacfish View Post
                  I am a little confused... spent last night mulling over a few things...
                  But how does the fuel filter work fine while i'm driving, but start to block after i've idled for a bit?
                  Did you drive it with the cap off for a bit?

Comment

yeah drove it without the cap.... took off he filter, but will have to wait to get a new one in the post, no point buying one from a scrap yard....

Comment

Originally posted by speedymacfish View Post
                      yeah drove it without the cap
                      And what happened?

Comment

still the same...... i work away 4 - 5 days a week so the motor has just been sat there for the week.. have a filter on its way today (i hope) so i'll get to see the results then, if not then its onto the next step... ??
                        I drive from Swansea to Bridgend on the M4 and back once a week with no problem...its just when i hit traffic in town....!!

Comment

well its back.....
                          changed the filter an all seemed fine.........
                          But all is not....!!
                          The lack of pull and choking feeling is now joined by a dull knocking sound......
                          if anyone has had or know's what this could be i'd be a happy man (unless its gonna cost me an arm!!)
                          Really need to get it sorted soon as i'm taking it down to the south of France soon for a little trip......

Comment

When you say "dull knocking" does it feel like its, deep in the engine, coz ( although I hate to say it) I'm thinking big end bearings, the "chocking" when warm could be "binding" or the beginning of an engine sieze, and the knocking is one of the bearing shells worn out.

This is the worst case scenario, but is a possibility, get it to someone who knows engines.
                            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

I understand what you're saying, but i'm a little confused...?
                              It only happens after i've been stopped for a minute or two, when i go to pull off the engine warning light comes on and it just feels really sluggish. But if it stop and turn off for a second or two, all it fine until i stop again..??

Comment

Working...
                              X